Stags with Solway Stalker

Glenbuck

Was out on stags with Colin last Wednesday and Thursday, seen plenty red hinds but not to many stags:stag: (managed one) was very mild weather and the stags were not yet chasing hinds, I'm sure they will be now and I did hear that the first roars were heard over the hill at loch Doon on the Friday morning. All in all I had a great outings with Colin and the cric was good!! As Colin always does, he never left a stone unturned looking for stags and we had a good stalk into a hind and calf in hope that a stag would be lurking around somewhere!
Anyone booked up with Colin is in for a good time and challenging stalk if the beasts are on the hill, good luck to all. Thanks again Colin for a cracking few days and the banter! Happy caravanning with Jacob:thumb:

Cheers Jim , we saw a lot more movement yesterday on the PM outing i had an SD member out hopefully he,l add a wee bit
Tell J.P the caravan is spot on , no sure its a good idea for me and Jacob to both sleep at the same end :D

I wouldn't sleep the same end as Jacob either colin I think you would get a terrible rash with beard hes got.just got home from a weekend in bonnie Scotland and what a great trip. colin picked me up and we headed out to the hill . ive not been to the estate before but have heard it was a nice spot and sure was a cracking place. before we left the defender which is 20 foot off the ground colin pointed out some hinds and calfs up on the hill which got the blood pumping.after a nice walk we had seen half a dozen hinds and calfs plenty of goats on the craggy rocks above but no stags yet. after dinner we set out again looking for stag as it was still early in the afternoon and the goats were still up on the tops colin thought we should have a go.we left the truck and made our way the base of mountain the goats had spotted us but we managed to get ourselves behind a rock looking verticaly up at the goats which had now got spooked and were at the very top looking down at us . the shot was still on at about 250 meters it was impossible to get any closer colin was happy for me to take the shot so a touch high and a touch left and the goat was down . the expected tumble down the rock face didn't happen so it was a fairly steep climb for this unfit Welshman . I will pack my crampons and carabenas next time colin :cuckoo:. with my breath back we were back in the truck colin seen a something through the trees so we stalked in and got to about 40 meters of huge hind we waited a while to see if my boy was about but she was on her own.a little bit further and we seen a group of 6 hinds being led by a stag moving flat out back into the forest. this was getting very exiting now on we went. we were running out of light slowly but colin never stopped looking then three hinds crossed in front of us followed by another young feller I was out the truck doing my best not to be seen the ticker was really working now yes I thought to my self this what its all about the hinds left and the stag followed. **** theres not long left now back in the truck 2 mins round the corner was another couple of hinds and a stag at last .CLICK:doh:thanks colin I had a great time mate enjoyed your company in a great place mate I hope you have put my name down for those dates we discussed wild horses wont stop me coming back for more .I have to come back for my jumper .

Last edited:
Il get yout jumper tmoro mate , if you dropped it any further up that hill than the fence the goats can have it
Enjoyed your day Ken , Thanks again

A week, two days and counting! Colin I'm so bloody looking forward to it! Love reading the write ups, nice one lads. It just add's to the tension! Im going to have to start laying my gear out on the spare bed, get the shooter cleaned and check zero...

A week, two days and counting! Colin I'm so bloody looking forward to it! Love reading the write ups, nice one lads. It just add's to the tension! Im going to have to start laying my gear out on the spare bed, get the shooter cleaned and check zero...
you are goung to have such a good time mate .

White Hart/Thomas and anyone else that is booked up, you'll have the time of your life. It's a stunning estate, good company and good beasts when they come out to play!!

They came out to play today Jim unfortunately my guy missed
STILL GOT ONE PM OUTING FREE ON THE 16TH IF YOU FANCY IT

Back