Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting at the bottom (which bottom?)

Starting at the bottom (which bottom?)

Ok, so I get the idea of starting working up my load from the bottom (recommended start load in the book) and I agree that this is obviously a good idea.

I'm planning on reloading hornady sp interlock 150gn .308 with varget.

In my lyman book this combination has a start load of 42.5gn

I asked someone the start load for this combo from the hornady book and it's 35.9 (with a much lower max load than in lyman)

which figures should I use as a guide?

Use the average (or as close as you can get). In this case it would be 41.25 grains. Call it 41.5 for fun and ease of measurement. None of the books match so it can leave a person confused. Buy as many books as you can. One of the best is "Practical Ballistics For The American Rifleman" by Bob Hagel, contains load data and real world scenarios from his hunts. I have always found the Sierra manuals to be the most useful from the bullet makers, followed by Speer.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko13 View Post
    Use the average (or as close as you can get). In this case it would be 41.25 grains. Call it 41.5 for fun and ease of measurement. None of the books match so it can leave a person confused. Buy as many books as you can. One of the best is "Practical Ballistics For The American Rifleman" by Bob Hagel, contains load data and real world scenarios from his hunts. I have always found the Sierra manuals to be the most useful from the bullet makers, followed by Speer.
    Thanks gecko

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Thanks gecko
    Go to Hodgdon's web site and see what the powder maker says. I like IMR 4064 with that bullet in that cartridge.~Muir

Stop messing around, 46gn will work (and probably be the best).

They rammed a lot more than that through it at the proof house. It will be safe, honest...

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Go to Hodgdon's web site and see what the powder maker says. I like IMR 4064 with that bullet in that cartridge.~Muir
    Done that, hogdens loads (for same weight bullets but not hornady interlock) were over the maximum in the hornady book!

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    Stop messing around, 46gn will work (and probably be the best).

They rammed a lot more than that through it at the proof house. It will be safe, honest...
    not a bad idea, just have to find a volunteer to pull the trigger for me the first few times, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    not a bad idea, just have to find a volunteer to pull the trigger for me the first few times, lol.
    47gn will work too...

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I agree, go with the powder manufacturers recommendations for your weight of bullet (don't worry too much about the actual make of bullet) rather than the bullet manufacturers and you won't go far wrong.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Geezzzz they all going up by one grain at the time...lol, by the end of the night you will reload cannon shells...lmaooo