Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holts sealed bid auctions - what do you know?

Holts sealed bid auctions - what do you know?

Hi all

There's a rifle I'm interested in, but can't see where/when you are able to view, and if they have more than one photo?

A lot of what I have seen written here and elsewhere indicates it's all a bit of a hassle and not that great a place/way to buy.

Also is the lower of the 'range' of estimated sale price a reserve does anyone know?

Grateful for any info or to hear of experiences using Holts.

Does anyone know what they charge for RFD?

Many thanks

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Essexsussex View Post
    Hi all

There's a rifle I'm interested in, but can't see where/when you are able to view, and if they have more than one photo?

A lot of what I have seen written here and elsewhere indicates it's all a bit of a hassle and not that great a place/way to buy.

Also is the lower of the 'range' of estimated sale price a reserve does anyone know?

Grateful for any info or to hear of experiences using Holts.

Many thanks

Will
    Will

I have found Holts to be very good, sometimes you get a bargain, other times you do not win [sealed bid]. If you call Holts they have a gunsmith working in the building next to the stored lots, he will often have a look at the gun for you and let you know if there are any major problems.

Take a look at the past sales, that will give you an idea of the realised prices in comparison with the reserves. If you have any other questions on this, send me a PM.

Give them a call, the girls in the office are very helpful...hope you are not bidding on the same rifle as me : )

Cheers

P

Thanks Pointer

I have PMd you. Indeed I found them extremely helpful by phone.

Will

I think the law says that the reserve may not be higher than than the lower estmate. Sometimes it is lower than the lower estimate.

David.

Shame I didn't see this earlier as I've just picked up my new Berretta from Holts won from the London sale, I would have been happy to look at it for you, be aware what you bid will then have a 20% charge from them for selling it, and any VAT if applicable. I personally don't like the sealed bid auction as you have no idea of the other bidders want to pay, can get expensive for the buyer at times. Lots of guns there, also lots of crappie ones as well. deerwarden.

All the items in both the main auction and the sealed bid are available for viewing at their preview which is for the three days before each sale. Well worth a visit as you can get the opportunity to look at lots of things. With the sealed bid factor in the 20% plus the VAT bit - read the small print because for UK sourced items you just pay VAT on the 20% Auction fees where as on imported items you have to pay VAT on the whole lot. And then spend what you thinkit is worth. If you don't get it, well somebody has been prepared to spend more than you thought it was worth.

For main auction items you can place a commissions bid, whereby you give the auctioneer the ability to bid for you up to a certain amount. Sometimes you can get lucky. I won an auction where I bought my 7x65r and I wrote a cheque to Holts for a total of 1,050 as nobody else bid. I spoke afterwards to Hambrusch who built and new cost is Euro 15,000 plus - and it was practicully unused.

But I have aslo seen Beretta Silver Pigeons go for more than the cost of buying a new one from the Beretta Gallery just becuase two people have bid for it.

I have put a number of sealed bids in for bits and pieces, including job lots of ammo and some single barrel 410's. They have gone mostly for more than I was prepared to pay, although its a bit galling when you lost something by a fiver.

Thanks everyone, particularly for the couple of offers to look over a rifle another time. Just as a note it appears the sealed bid commission is 25pc plus vat. We'll see how it goes!

will

Quote Originally Posted by Essexsussex View Post
    Hi all

Will
    Please be aware that Holts can't do RFD transfers for you. If you do buy an item then they must enter the details onto your FAC before they will release it to you. You can't ask an RFD to collect items from Holts that you have bought.

This is in accordance with the legislation and the wording on your FAC, although we all know that RFD-RFD-FAC transfers are standard practice for retail sales.

They will hold items for you until your variation comes through, but this should be reasonably soon after the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by M275 View Post
    This is in accordance with the legislation and the wording on your FAC, although we all know that RFD-RFD-FAC transfers are standard practice for retail sales.
    I'm a bit confused about this now. I have two rifles, one bought from an RFD, the other from an individual, and in both cases they were couriered to a gunshop near me. And in both cases, the shop staff filled in my FAC, notified the police that they'd done this, and I did the same. Some years ago, I bought a shotgun in the Holt's sealed bid sale, and they also couriered it to the same gunshop, same procedure. Now that said, I've noticed on my FAC that's not what it technically says should happen. Has this changed of late?

It's just I've never sent off my FAC for the seller to fill in and then return. In fact I think my FAC states that it all has to be face to face which can't always happen in practice.

Perhaps this is one for the nice people at BASC to clarify?
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 30-09-2014 at 10:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I'm a bit confused about this now. I have two rifles, one bought from an RFD, the other from an individual, and in both cases they were couriered to a gunshop near me. And in both cases, the shop staff filled in my FAC, notified the police that they'd done this, and I did the same. Some years ago, I bought a shotgun in the Holt's sealed bid sale, and they also couriered it to the same gunshop, same procedure. Now that said, I've noticed on my FAC that's not what it technically says should happen. Has this changed of late?

It's just I've never sent off my FAC for the seller to fill in and then return. In fact I think my FAC states that it all has to be face to face which can't always happen in practice.

Perhaps this is one for the nice people at BASC to clarify?
    There have been two threads covering this ground recently:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...trange+request

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...trange+request

As far as Holts are concerned, if you bid and get it, then they have to enter it on your FAC. If you wish, you can send them your FAC to complete, then they will return it directly and send the item to an RFD to collect. This is the strictly Kosher way of doing it, so they have to work that way.