Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking Rifle to SA

Taking Rifle to SA

Hi,I am headed to SA in May 2015 and going to take my rifle, any advice on legal requirements with airlines/lessons learned from previous experience?Thanks

a little bit of administration but not to painful

you need to fill in a saps520 form.here is a link that should work http://www.safarihunter.co.uk/south-africa/SAPS520.pdf

proof of ownership ie a current FAC

motivation letter just stating that you are bringing a rifle to use on such and such with whoever

letter of invitation from ph he should be all over this and send one when you book

valid return flight ticket

proof of export from the country of origin.

I think thats all of it check your airline accepts firearms prior to booking and also any connecting flights allow the import of firearms into there country. Get the best box you can peli cases are superb and you will need a seperate container for ammo that can also be locked. Im sure your all over it but think safety all the time i was booking a bow in last year and an american in front of me left his rifle loaded, embarressing for him at the time but think of what could have happened. Enjoy you will love it once you leave the airport

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    a little bit of administration but not to painful

you need to fill in a saps520 form.here is a link that should work http://www.safarihunter.co.uk/south-africa/SAPS520.pdf

proof of ownership ie a current FAC

motivation letter just stating that you are bringing a rifle to use on such and such with whoever

letter of invitation from ph he should be all over this and send one when you book

valid return flight ticket

proof of export from the country of origin.

I think thats all of it check your airline accepts firearms prior to booking and also any connecting flights allow the import of firearms into there country. Get the best box you can peli cases are superb and you will need a seperate container for ammo that can also be locked. Im sure your all over it but think safety all the time i was booking a bow in last year and an american in front of me left his rifle loaded, embarressing for him at the time but think of what could have happened. Enjoy you will love it once you leave the airport
    yip. That covers it all!!
    make sure you have proof of export. They wanted to give one of my European clients allot of stick this side because he didn't have it! Never needed it before but apparently they check for it!!

enjoy your trip

Gerrit jv Vuuren PH & Outfitter
    Bos en Dal Safaris- South Africa
    gerrit@ehw.co.za
    Home - Bos en Dal Safaris

What is the proof of export document? Is this info not contained on our firearms certificate?

Also chose your airline carefully. DO NOT fly B.A. thier charges for carrying firearms are eye watering. Air France, your rifle may not get there and if it does it may be in bits.
    I have twice flown with South African airways with firearms and it has been a pleasure. Nothing to much trouble you dont even have to notify them(but I do). I also hear good things from Virgin. I personaly try to fly direct as there is less to go wrong.
    Who are you hunting with? Both my trips the agent sorted all my paperwork so took all the worry away.
    Good luck and enjoy you lucky bŁ$t+@d.
    Tusker

On airlines, KLM is also an unfriendly airline for hunters/firearms travellers. Brussels Airlines have very simple paperwork, and they are a no-problem airline with firearms. I agree with the Do Not Fly BA With A Firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by 270Buck View Post
    What is the proof of export document? Is this info not contained on our firearms certificate?
    It is a document you obtain from the airport you departure if i am not mistaking!! They did not want to accept only the fire arm certificate... That is your proof of ownership!

All the best

Gerrit jv Vuuren PH & Outfitter
    Bos en Dal Safaris- South Africa
    gerrit@ehw.co.za
    Home - Bos en Dal Safaris

Quote Originally Posted by 270Buck View Post
    Useful information on this page Ross, looks like you and me have got to find a cheap notary/solicitor. Unless anyone else knows different?

Quote Originally Posted by NoIDeer View Post
    Useful information on this page Ross, looks like you and me have got to find a cheap notary/solicitor. Unless anyone else knows different?
    Who are you hunting with and who are the agents? They should sort all this out for you. Both times I have hunted with Kei River with 2 different agents and they sorted all paperwork.
    If you make horlics of it it will ruin your trip. If the agent gets it wrong (he wont) you sue him.
    Tusker.
    Last edited by tusker; 30-09-2014 at 16:41. Reason: spelling mistake

Maybe worth your while talking to Ron Wharton at Bunduki.co.uk Ron offers a service to do all the transit requirements.