Thread: Fallow grunting like crazy down in the SW!!

Thumbs up Fallow grunting like crazy down in the SW!!

Out this morning on the Haldon hills near Exeter - Bucks merrily grunting and holding does.
    This evening, north of Dorcester in Dorset - more vocal Fallow sounding off.

Looks like it is a 'go' down this end of the world!

Rgds

Ian
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training,
    DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

Is that normal for down there Ian? Usually about the 24th up here when they really get into it. Every region ia different.

None of the big boys holding court here yet . Rutting stands starting to get a bit of action . Still expect the rut to be on time here in the south east.
    Atb steve

Shot 9 Fallow in Herts and Dorset this week still in male groups of Bucks the prickets are getting excited and there is some fraying but no real activity yet expect it to be going in about 3 weeks in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    Is that normal for down there Ian? Usually about the 24th up here when they really get into it. Every region ia different.
    I'd agree with that, the local bucks are usually groaning well by the 3rd week in October but a few colder nights might kick them off early. In the Forest of Dean it used to be that the fallow in the outlying woods rutted about a week or so earlier than the bucks in the main forest, there they often seemed to peak well into November. I don't know why, it just seemed that way.

Was out last night in West Sussex and right on last knockings there were a few grunts to be heard. Bucks holding does in the area, also saw quite a few solitary does with followers about. Heard a bit of thrashing in the bushes but no real stand offs as yet.

I shot one buck that had just been chased off by a bigger buck, still some fat on him but his stomach was empty! Nothing in his food pipe either. His skin was very thick, so much so, I actually recovered the bullet (first time ever!) as it did not exit.

I think its still early days where I was but things are definately starting, if the temp drops over the next week or so it could well be in full swing before too long.

atb Jim

Yep i was on Haldon last night, just before dark they started big time, but just wouldn't cross the boundary!
    Cheers
    Richard

I was sat in my lunch chair out the back of the farm on Wednesday lunchtime, I'd had my lunch,and was just about to doze off, when I heard the belching love calls coming from across the field. Most exciting, but they are still not properly on down here in Essex, I think that once the weather gets a wee bit colder next week that will start things off nicely.

Kind regards, Olaf