Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first time stalking need some tips!

first time stalking need some tips!

HI guys,

I'm about to apply for my FAC and have booked a few days stalking with a company called "deer work" in east sussex.

I'm going out wednesday evening and thursday morning stalking and just wondered if you guys had any tips for me on anything really.

any help taken on board, i do have my DSC1 just not the real first hand experience.

cheers guys

Firstly take notice of the instructions/advice from your stalker/guide, secondly, enjoy! Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

cheers Steve, I've wanted to get into it for a long time but I'm the only one in my family that shoots so acquiring ground to stalk is hard but i have some ground but not many deer there at all.
    Last edited by jamesbilling; 30-09-2014 at 10:42.

Then you have already a LOT more than a lot on here!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbilling View Post
    HI guys,

I'm about to apply for my FAC and have booked a few days stalking with a company called "deer work" in east sussex.

I'm going out wednesday evening and thursday morning stalking and just wondered if you guys had any tips for me on anything really.

any help taken on board, i do have my DSC1 just not the real first hand experience.

cheers guys
    Walk/stalk at what seems a ridiculous slow pace.
    Use your binoculars to scan through the cover and into the next field/ride/clearing every 30 or so paces. Use your Bino's much more often than you think necessary.
    Make sure you understand the terms of the stalk (no shot fee, missed shot fee, trophy fee, venison fee) before you start or you could end up with a financial hang-over.
    Do not shout out 'I can see one!!!' , wave your arms, jump up and down with joy, and point at it enthusiastically when you can see one.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Make sure you get AOLQ on your certificate and then look to swap some deer outings with your Boar. Save bundle on paid stalking and I am sure you will get a response.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Then you have already a LOT more than a lot on here!!!
    Yes but James has made the mistake of admitting it !!

Good boots and a warm hat. Listen to the guide and learn from them. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Enjoy!

can i wear my chammy wellies or not? haha

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbilling View Post
    can i wear my chammy wellies or not? haha
    Lowland stalking its usually fine. If the terrain is more challenging good boots are often preferable.