Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: opinions please!! what rifle and why??

opinions please!! what rifle and why??

hi all,
    I am looking to apply for my FAC and am getting a .22LR a .308 and a .204 rugger.

i know which .22 i want and am stuck with the other two...

i was looking at getting a tikka t3 for the .204 but have no idea about the .308 any help guys?

I have about 3 grand for both rifles scopes and mods so please fire away with opinions!

Cheers

Good choice on the tikka, I'd look at either cz or howa and spend the rest of your budget on decent glass, or find a good second hand tikka or sako.
    Most factory rifles with out shoot the person pulling the trigger, but a decent scope will give you the advantage.

If it was me and I had 3k in my pocket I'd buy two rifles of the same make and model unless you want a v light gun for stalking and a v heavy long rang fox/varmint gun. Howas with an upgraded laminate stock are a good option at a price point that allows you to buy decent glass. If you are minded to I'd go for second hand but vgc glass as you will be able to get higher spec but if you want new then look 'mid-range' at Vortex, Sightron etc. If you can get away with one mod then do so. You're unlikely to store a rifle with the mod on so no bother as you have to screw on/off anyway. I have no experience of .204 and don't know if the sound attenuation is good enough with a .30 cal mod. Plenty of people here that will know. As stated above, factory rifles now may well shoot better than you so spend the money on two good scopes then find factory ammo that the rifle likes, practice like anything and you'll be on the right track.

cheers guys, any idea on where to look out for second hand glass and rifles that are decent?
    gun traders usually guessing game as can't get much info on rifles!

cheers again!

The SD usually has plenty of second hand scopes. The community here is very helpful and honest and so far my experience of buying from other members has been excellent. With regard to rifles, ask around for a good gun shop in your area. I know nothing about dealers in East Sussex. A dealer with a good track record and endorsed by members on here is highly likely to offer you good service and advice. They will help you get setup and may even throw in a box of ammo free. (the dealer near me always is extremely helpful).

Quote Originally Posted by Biathlonjimmy View Post
    If it was me and I had 3k in my pocket I'd buy two rifles of the same make and model unless you want a v light gun for stalking and a v heavy long rang fox/varmint gun. Howas with an upgraded laminate stock are a good option at a price point that allows you to buy decent glass. If you are minded to I'd go for second hand but vgc glass as you will be able to get higher spec but if you want new then look 'mid-range' at Vortex, Sightron etc. If you can get away with one mod then do so. You're unlikely to store a rifle with the mod on so no bother as you have to screw on/off anyway. I have no experience of .204 and don't know if the sound attenuation is good enough with a .30 cal mod. Plenty of people here that will know. As stated above, factory rifles now may well shoot better than you so spend the money on two good scopes then find factory ammo that the rifle likes, practice like anything and you'll be on the right track.
    I agree with the advice to go for a budget rifle such as a Howa and use the spare cash for a good scope and in particular good bino's, the stalking tool you will use more than anything else.
    As far as the 'one moderator' is concerned, I tried a .308W moderator (and a top-of-the-range one it was) on a .243W rifle and the noise was deafening, so that is not such a good idea.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

My recommendation would be to buy one .30 cal moderator and use it on all your centrefires. AU-SL5 would be my pick. It works fine for me on a variety of 6mm and 260 Rem rifles.

Regards

JCS

James

Have a good read first. It's easy to buy rifles, it's much harder to sell them. Scopes and binoculars are a different story.

The Practical Guide to Long Range Hunting Rifles (Paperback + Ebook) - The Long Range Hunting Series - Terminal Ballistics Research

or

subscribe to Chuck - http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifles_index_reviews.htm

Have fun.

JCS

I think I would be tempted to get a new Sako 308 with a good German scope and just shoot that for a while. Then later on perhaps look into a 204 you will do everything with a 308.

I wasted a lot of money when I first started out as I felt the need to buy everything on my ticket. What I in fact done was buy a lot of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by RPA.260 View Post
    What I in fact done was buy a lot of crap.
    I've seen a lot of people do that and they always seem to be buying and selling rifles and scopes for one reason or another.

In the end the exact rifle you buy doesn't matter much as there are lots of quality rifles out there. I personally went for Blaser in 308W for a range of reasons but your circumstances might differ. However buying the one good, quality, rifle at the outset has turned out to be a great decision for me. I've only ever owned one rifle and have no desire to change it after maybe 7 or more years now.

I can say the same about a scope - buy good quality and stay away from marketing "features" that you don't really need and you will be set up for life. I went with an S&B 8X56 it it is ideally suited to my needs. I bought well second hand and it is worth more than I paid for it and it has never let me down and I've never felt that I need any other scope.

My advice would be to put your cash into one well made, well engineered rifle that is robust, simple and designed to go stalking in the rain and, if you will require it, that will be easy to transport. The same goes for scopes - buy good Euro glass with the absolute least number of features you require. Keep to simple, fixed mag scopes if you can and put the cash into good glass and good engineering rather that marketing and magazine adverts. If you do that the setup will do you for a lifetime of stalking and will always deliver when you need it.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/