Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New custom knife

New custom knife

Well there's been a few threads on knives of late and some nice work done. I thought I'd put a pic of my new one up for you to see.
    After trying a number of knives from a 5 mora (very good but too long in the blade) to a eka folder, then to a hand made knife bought 2nd hand off here. I finally decided on what I think I need/want in a knife. Since the JES magpie I had was almost right I asked John to produce a variation on this.

The handle was perfect but the blade too short to bleed a sika, and had slightly to much belly to get round the anus of roe or muntjac. So a perspex template was made of the knife blank, giving a little more pointed blade. The extra length for bleeding meant that my fingers were very near or on the razor sharp blade when un-zipping. So I had the blade left long but un-sharpened at the handle end. I then decided it would be more comfortable if there was a finger recess along with making the knife look more aesthetic
    After some more fettleing of the blank it was sent off to John. I provided the timber for the scales which is Australian River red gum. This was something I picked up while working out there and had saved for such a project. They were stabilised but didn't take as much chemical as other timbers due to the natural oils contained within gum tree. However I think they will be very durable.

It's probably a little short for bleeding a red but then I've never shot one of them, and if I get the chance I'll just take a mora. I don't think there is a one knife does all solution, not for me anyway.

Here's the pictures.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stalker02.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	47398 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stalker01.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	47399

Very, very nice.
    Mauser M03 Extreme .308 / Ruger 22 250

Thanks. I can't wait to put it to use and see if it works out.

Im sure it will work just fine. A lovely piece of work and the wood is a work of art ...well done scott

Just a few more pics now the sheath is done. I should have this in my hand soon and can't wait to see how it performs. I particulary like the simple sheath design and old fashioned look.
    Sure it's not the work of art some makers produce, but at my budget and to be a working tool I'm real happy with it so far.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MagpieStalker02.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	47863 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MagpieStalker01.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	47864

very nice ,should work well for you,atb
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Just a few more pics now the sheath is done. I should have this in my hand soon and can't wait to see how it performs. I particulary like the simple sheath design and old fashioned look.
    Sure it's not the work of art some makers produce, but at my budget and to be a working tool I'm real happy with it so far.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MagpieStalker02.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	47863 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MagpieStalker01.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	47864
    I would pay good money for something like that top marks to you and hope you get to use it very soon
    DJC
    Keep on going to the end you never no what's round the corner

cracking job m8,nice leather work too

Nice job like it a lot (as I am on the out look foe a new knife)

Knife has now had some use out in the field. I must say I am pretty happy with it. It holds a good keen edge and zipps through the flesh like a scalpel. I haven't had to think about my fingers on the blade it just handles intuitively.
    Keeping blade in good condition is a job that needs to be done, which is a bit of a pain but take little time whilst cleaning my rifle and other kit from a day out.
    Not only does it work it is a pleasure to own and I do enjoy using something that someone took alot of pride in making.