Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Gluten free sausage recipe

  1. #1

    Gluten free sausage recipe

    My son has recently been diagnosed coeliac. Currently when making sausage I use a mix from tongs and add the suggested amount of rusk which I believe contains gluten. Anyone have any good gluten free recipes?

    Pete

  2. #2
    Tong Master do apparently:
    http://www.tongmaster.co.uk/Organic-...0kg-of-sausage

    As an aside (I'm sure you already know) one of the big issues is cross contamination - separate toaster and microwaves are a must. It may be worth looking at the idea of silicon paper for when you oven or microwave anything 'suspect' as the contamination will stay on the paper. Also a lot of gluten free products are cr@p.

    I own a café and we have been catering more and more for people with gluten intolerance and true coeliac - cross contamination is a big issue for us...and the fact that we wont put the food out unless it's good enough for everyone - not just a minority that have no other choice. Honestly some of the rubbish that people have to eat just because they are intolerant to gluten is hardly fit for consumption..

  3. #3
    I believe quinoa is completely gluten free. I use it as a rusk substitute in sausages and burgers...

    PM me if you want recipes etc.

    Ben

  4. #4
    Thanks for that MurrayB. My daughter is coeliac too and I recently made an attempt to make Wild Boar sausages. I used gluten free bread crumps, taste was good but they turned out a bit too dry.

  5. #5
    A lot of marketed, made to a profit margin, gluten free sausages are bloody awful. The ones we make at work are. The problem arises when you try to make something the same as the original with a major ingredient missing.
    You can blend your own seasoning, not as complicated as it may first sound, and make a sausage that is pure meat and your seasoning. Cumberland and Toulouse sausages are two highly favoured sausage that are traditionally gluten free.
    Weschenfelder do a gluten free Cumberland mix that uses potato to replace the bread rusk. I ordered a pack out of curiosity and will be making it up tomorrow to try.

    You could also look at Thai sausage recipes. They use rice instead of rusk and can be very good.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayb View Post
    Tong Master do apparently:
    http://www.tongmaster.co.uk/Organic-...0kg-of-sausage

    As an aside (I'm sure you already know) one of the big issues is cross contamination - separate toaster and microwaves are a must. It may be worth looking at the idea of silicon paper for when you oven or microwave anything 'suspect' as the contamination will stay on the paper. Also a lot of gluten free products are cr@p.

    I own a café and we have been catering more and more for people with gluten intolerance and true coeliac - cross contamination is a big issue for us...and the fact that we wont put the food out unless it's good enough for everyone - not just a minority that have no other choice. Honestly some of the rubbish that people have to eat just because they are intolerant to gluten is hardly fit for consumption..
    Cheers for the info

    Had no idea about anything regarding this ptrior to his diagnosis so its a steep learning curve.

  7. #7
    https://www.coeliac.org.uk/home/

    This is a place you need to look at .... a load of information and resources.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    I believe quinoa is completely gluten free. I use it as a rusk substitute in sausages and burgers...

    PM me if you want recipes etc.

    Ben
    will give it a go

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RDG View Post
    A lot of marketed, made to a profit margin, gluten free sausages are bloody awful. The ones we make at work are. The problem arises when you try to make something the same as the original with a major ingredient missing.
    You can blend your own seasoning, not as complicated as it may first sound, and make a sausage that is pure meat and your seasoning. Cumberland and Toulouse sausages are two highly favoured sausage that are traditionally gluten free.
    Weschenfelder do a gluten free Cumberland mix that uses potato to replace the bread rusk. I ordered a pack out of curiosity and will be making it up tomorrow to try.


    You could also look at Thai sausage recipes. They use rice instead of rusk and can be very good.
    Cheers

    let me know how you get on with that

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayb View Post
    https://www.coeliac.org.uk/home/

    This is a place you need to look at .... a load of information and resources.
    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Top sausage recipe!!
    By Monkey Spanker in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 16-03-2015, 21:38
  2. Venison sausage roll recipe wanted
    By Blueduncan in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-12-2013, 20:48
  3. Advice Requested. Gluten-Free Sausage Mix.
    By Uncle Norm in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19-01-2013, 14:00
  4. sausage seasoning recipe needed
    By solo gun in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-03-2011, 05:21
  5. recipe for sliced sausage
    By sakoson in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-01-2011, 23:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •