Ear defenders

ziggy

I'm considering splashing out on some ear defenders and would quite like a pair of the ones that can connect with a mobile phone. The choice would seem to be limited to a couple of pairs of Peltor and MSA Sordin. I was wondering if anybody had any advice/experience with these before I go spending on something I might regret buying. Essentially they will be used as an mp3 player more than anything while I'm at work but I figure if I get the shooting models then they will of course come in handy when out with the boomsticks etc. Thank you for any advice

MSN Sordin pro x with gel packs. Comfortable and do the job well.

The MSA are also more streamline thus allowing less interference when using the rifle especially when in prone position.

Either of your choices will serve you well.

Regards,
Glednine,

Thank you both, that was indeed the model I was favouring personally but its good to know that others have tried it and speak well of it. cheers

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X with Gel Cups as previous poster have suggested. Comfortable as well as waterproof but expensive - worth every penny.

MP3 Connection

I use Emtek noisebreakers at work and for shooting. Main benefits are they are moulded in ear types so not huge clumsy types and the ones in the link are similar to these but are built round Sennheiser earphones. The basic ones are brilliant so would expect these to be equally effective. And no I don't have anything to do with them just think theyre great after trying just about all others including the electronic types.

And just to be difficult; I bought a pair of the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X with additional gel cups & don't find them terribly comfortable. I'm 6'2" with ears in proportion (not Dumbo or wing-nut ones) & find it quite difficult to get them to cover my ears properly. Once I've fiddled with them & got them on satisfactorily they are indeed remarkably good, even in high winds. They are quite heavy, partly due to the high build quality.I took the gel cups off & reverted to the original ones as they felt slightly bigger. I also seem to bang them off the stock if I do anything quickly with them, which I find very off-putting.

I keep them now for range use only & have reverted to using Peltor shotgunner ones which are fabulously comfortable, slimline & don't connect with the stock, fit like a glove & can be purchased for about £15.

Make sure you try them rather than mail order because the fit is very important & has a big impact on their efficiency.

im humunga head too,size 62 hat,and my peltors just cover my dumbo,s .only just and it doesnt feel comfortable with them squashing instead of covering my ears.again try b4 u buy as mine were a mail order mistake as well

I wear slim ones (Peltor SportTac) for shotgun-shooting, and the lack of stock-interference is a huge advantage at that game.
However when rifles, especially unmoderated ones, are in use on the range I find that something bigger is better: in my case, Peltor Protac II if I need to hear things, or the even-bigger but non-electronic Peltor Optime III if I don't.

Just the SportTac available with Bluetooth, I think.

Last edited:
Back