Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peregrine takes down pink

Peregrine takes down pink

Out this morning feeding my pheasants and sat on a rock above the woods to watch birds coming out into the field and spotted
    skein of pinks heading towards me,about 80 in skein,then spotted a different bird some way behind the geese.
    As the skein got closer I recognised other bird to be a peregrine,it gained on the pinks and turned the whole
    skein and then managed to separate one bird away and brought it down in the field I was sat in,couldn't believe it!
    Me being a bit of a hunter gatherer I thought I would wait a couple of minutes and go and get the goose ,good eating and all that.
    Peregrine released goose and it managed to fly off !!
    Smart to see,but no goose for sunday lunch !

Quote Originally Posted by tia View Post
    Out this morning feeding my pheasants and sat on a rock above the woods to watch birds coming out into the field and spotted
    skein of pinks heading towards me,about 80 in skein,then spotted a different bird some way behind the geese.
    As the skein got closer I recognised other bird to be a peregrine,it gained on the pinks and turned the whole
    skein and then managed to separate one bird away and brought it down in the field I was sat in,couldn't believe it!
    Me being a bit of a hunter gatherer I thought I would wait a couple of minutes and go and get the goose ,good eating and all that.
    Peregrine released goose and it managed to fly off !!
    Smart to see,but no goose for sunday lunch !
    lovely to see. Not entirely sure I share your attitude to trying to pinch the hard earned quarry of a wild animal though
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    lovely to see. Not entirely sure I share your attitude to trying to pinch the hard earned quarry of a wild animal though
    Why not? Some of them take my chickens and pheasants!!!

Love to watch them hunt, especially when they are successful.

During snow goose hunts we always have bald eagles hanging about. If you sail one with a poor shot, you had better send the dog or retrieve it within a couple minutes. Any longer than that and the eagles will feast.

Wasn't like it was going to fly off with it!

Great to see though. Never actually seen a bird of prey take down something in the wild, especially a goose. Great moment.
    Last edited by ChrisWill184; 30-09-2014 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    why not? Some of them take my chickens and pheasants!!!
    agree !!!

Yes it is a wonderfull sight. I had many a peregrine stoop on my pigeon decoys and even had a buzzard hit a bouncer when decoying on OSR in the spring. Its remarkable to watch a peregrine take a pigeon in flight, huge impact speed but even more remarkable when the pigeon manages to escape having been knocked out of the sky.

D

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    Why not? Some of them take my chickens and pheasants!!!
    Game on!

But we are an animal too, just higher up the food chain.Would you feel the same way about a lion taking away the kill of a leopard

Truly a memory that will last a lifetime.
    Several years ago while waiting out for a fox in a huge valley, where we have had peregrines nesting for the last 20 years or more.
    An adult bird took a high pigeon which it brought down about 150 yards away from me. It then preceded to semi pluck the pigeon then calling in the juvenile bird to have its fill. I count myself very privileged to have witnessed it, probably a once in a lifetime event.
    No really being familiar with pinks, there must be a considerable size difference? Sounds like one gutsy peregrine, shame it didn't get his deserved reward.