Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I shoot this?

Can I shoot this?

Local farmer had asked me to shoot one of his livestock as a favour. Don't ask reasons etc, but he has. Question, is this legally ok to do with my deer rifle given that my conditions are deer and vermin??
    tx.

If that's all your ticket says them no. Mine makes reference to humane dispatch, not species specific, just the humane killing of animals. And other points in relation to the management of any estate etc.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Might it be ok with a shotgun without the need for specific condition etc?

Quote Originally Posted by biffo View Post
    Local farmer had asked me to shoot one of his livestock as a favour. Don't ask reasons etc, but he has. Question, is this legally ok to do with my deer rifle given that my conditions are deer and vermin??
    tx.
    Probably not.
    My FAC has a clause which states `the lawful shooting of deer and the shooting of vermin or, IN CONNECTION WITH THE MANAGEMENT OF ANY ESTATE, OTHER WILDLIFE.`

I would refer the matter to your FLO as you may be in the fertilizer otherwise.

HWH.

As said if your ticket states deer and vermin then that is all you can shoot. If you were to shoot an animal not listed but that was injured you would have good cause, but you may be asked to prove that so consideration should be given before pulling the trigger.
    In this instance where I presume the animal is not in distress (if it is the owner is breaking the law by not getting something done in good time) and is to be killed for other reasons. I can only think it is either not wanted any more! Or is to be killed for consumption. This requires you to have the condition of humane dispatch at the very least and I think if for consumption by others should be done by a qualified slaughter man.
    My answer to you is NO.
    Good question though and shows a sensible approach by you. I'd be interested in the proper legal answer if that is posted.

Quote Originally Posted by biffo View Post
    tx.
    No. And you insurance won't work either.

Proper legal answer.

I think anyone giving advice needs to point out a few things that may or may not be on your certificate ?
    There seems to be a misunderstanding regarding things you have authority to shoot with a rifle and separate conditions on how you may use your bullets , a lot of people fail to notice the separate conditions

andy

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Probably not.
    My FAC has a clause which states `the lawful shooting of deer and the shooting of vermin or, IN CONNECTION WITH THE MANAGEMENT OF ANY ESTATE, OTHER WILDLIFE.`

I would refer the matter to your FLO as you may be in the fertilizer otherwise.

HWH.
    really appreciate all the comments, thanks. Just checked and my cert also says In Connection with the Management of any Estate or other wildlife. Does that make a difference??

At a guess I'd say you still can't as livestock covers specific animals that ordinarily wouldn't be considered wildlife. Best bet is to speak to your FEO, I did when in a similar situation and he said best bet was to use a shotgun due to them not having conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    If that's all your ticket says them no. Mine makes reference to humane dispatch, not species specific, just the humane killing of animals. And other points in relation to the management of any estate etc.
    Spot on . I had to get it on my ticket with the backing of the local knackery and sspca . The only time I use the rifle if its a scatty one just for safety otherwise the captive bolt does the job