Moderator advice for 30.06 - Wildcat, ASE, A-Tec

melgalvis

I'm hoping for a few words of wisdom for a newbee to the large calibre scene.

I am on the brink of purchasing my 30-06 and asked for advice from RFDs as to what mod; what I have been offered is as follows:

Wildcat Compact
ASE Northstar / (Ultra) SL5
A-Tec Maxim

All priced roughly the same: £200-250

Any advice?

Thanks

Gareth

I've got the SL5 on my new rifle, also a 30-06, I wasn't sure about going for a muzzle-mounted mod having always used some sort of reflex mod before, but so far I'm pleased with it.
It reduces flash and report just fine, it's also pretty dead in that it doesn't ring during firing or when struck by finger nail or twig so it doesn't need a sock.
I'm sure you'll find fans and detractors for all 3 models you've listed, but based on personal experience I can recommend the SL5.

I have always used the T8 on my 270 but decided to get a muzzle mounted mod for my 30-06. Got the ase ultra sl5 and im very pleased with it .......scott

I wouldnt even go near a wildcat just cross it off your list stupid heavy and i feel its not that great at suppression

ive got a SL5 on a .308 and its very good i also dont notice its on there in terms of ballance

i would go SL5 which is perfectley good at suppression or SL7 if you want max suppression on a 30 06 if you go aluminium you will suffer gas cutting very quickly so your mod bacones a consumable

All food for thaught

I've used ASE and Atec. If you want a solid and very sturdy moderator and don't mind it being a little heavier then go with the ASE. If you want a light moderator but not quite as bombproof (still perfectly acceptable and good quality) then go with Atec.

I have a wildcat on my 308. Does the job but there's better out there. If I was to replace it I would either get an SL5 or CQB.

wildcat on my .308 ,atec maxim on the .243 maxim is mucho better weight and size wise but i do find the wildcat quieter though it is a lump

Thanks for the help guys; I think the Wildcat has been well and truly scrapped from my thoughts.

The spread between SL5 and A-Tec is close (7 v 5, respectively) with the advantages being:

SL5 - more robust (but heavier)
A-Tec - Lighter (but more prone to damage)

Think it splitting hairs and down to preference now.

Cheers again!!

ill go with either the hardy or look at one less charlie they will make a stainless unit to spec got one on my 30-06 its a lump but very effective, well made and british built

The ASE Jet Z is VERY quiet, very robust, quite slim and works well on a shortened rifle. It's not stainless but it doesn't seem to rust given even the slightest care.

Back