Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PM's DL1 bullets arrive from France and Phase 2 of the reloading adventure begins

PM's DL1 bullets arrive from France and Phase 2 of the reloading adventure begins

Hello everyone.

Those who have been following my path towards reloading my own 7mm-08 cartridges may have picked up that I've almost immediately gone off the beaten track and decided to be the first person in the UK to use DL1 bullets, made by Degol in Belgium on behalf of Freyr in France. The first obstacle was laying hands on said bullets, as it appears that supply isn't just a problem with US bullets. However my man at Freyr just received a massive consignment, I confirmed the order on Monday (haven't paid yet, must remember to do so), and a man in a van just delivered them half an hour ago. So in an attempt to make you share the excitement, here are some pictures of the box and its' contents. As I know you'll want to jump into the ballistics stuff, the last one shows one the 150gr DL1 bullets (RHS) next to the Sierra HPBT of the same weight that I've been loading for practice. Not the same profile and the DL1 is ever so slightly shorter, but the ogives appear very similar, as I suspect will be the seating depth.

Stay tuned for more developments, with first tests planned for October 26th.

Attachment 47446Attachment 47447
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 01-10-2014 at 15:42.

Are they like a "protected point" SP kinda thing?
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

No, they're a hollowpoint with a bonded core and a thick copper jacket at the back with a pronounced shoulder below the ogive for controlled expansion.

Sounds a bit like an Norma Vulkan.........
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Happy days mate. It's fantastic how you can just get them delivered to your door. I'll be getting some Hornady bullets off Kynoch and it's a pain having to have them delivered to an RFD. I'd give them a try if they went up to .458
    im looking forward to seeing how they shoot

I've no doubt missed something here as you appear to have successfully imported and taken direct delivery of expanding projectiles suitable for hunting? Thus bypassing a RFD.

Well done. I guess!

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    (...)Thus bypassing a RFD.

Well done. I guess!

K
    Not exactly, I bought them from a French RFD after sharing my licence with him. It's all above board, as detailed here: Importing expanding missiles from abroad - BASC clarify position

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    I'd give them a try if they went up to .458
    Oh but they do! Ogives Calibre 458 500gr (32.40g) 600gr (38.88g) - Munitions Freyr

Although these are very clearly for shooting big dangerous things. That may be what you have in mind, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    I've no doubt missed something here as you appear to have successfully imported and taken direct delivery of expanding projectiles suitable for hunting? Thus bypassing a RFD.
    Why would there be a need to involve an RFD? It's only within the UK with our ridiculous classification of expanding hunting bullets/projectiles as S.5 prohibited items that we have to suffer the 'face-to-face' RFD transfer. Elsewhere in most of the world, (including our EU neighbours who have correctly interpreted and implimented the Firearms Directive), these inert lumps of metal can be bought, sold and sent relatively freely. So if you have a source who can supply said "extremely dangerous" items without contravening their own domestic laws, then there is no reason why you can't have them sent direct to you through the post or via a carrier, UPS/DHL etc.

Provided you have authority to possess and don't exceed the quantity stated on your FAC for that calibre, then once you take delivery you commit no offence. No need to even enter them on your FAC either - even though some FEOs have a bee in their bonnet about it.
    Last edited by Orion; 01-10-2014 at 19:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Why would there be a need to involve an RFD? It's only within the UK with our ridiculous classification of expanding hunting bullets/projectiles as S.5 prohibited items that we have to suffer the 'face-to-face' RFD transfer. Elsewhere in most of the world, (including our EU neighbours who have correctly interpreted and implimented the Firearms Directive), these inert lumps of metal can be bought, sold and sent relatively freely. So if you have a source who can supply said "extremely dangerous" items without contravening their own domestic laws, then there is no reason why you can't have them sent direct to you through the post or via a carrier, UPS/DHL etc.

Provided you have authority to possess and don't exceed the quantity stated on your FAC for that calibre, then once you take delivery you commit no offence. No need to even enter them on your FAC either - even though some FEOs have a bee in their bonnet about it.

OKIDOKI that is great news. Do you think PM's French RFD would be happy to send me 1200 35g V-Max in accodance with my FAC allowence for 22 exapaning projectiles if I supply them with a copy of my ticket?

They seem to be in short suppply in the UK at the moment.

Cheers

K