17hmr scope

bobjs

hi lads

I have been given a fair few acres of land to clear of bunnies and the calibre i have been asked to use is a wee 17 hmr (this is due to land and bulidings as well as houses nearby etc) so i pinched a bit of my .243 budget and got a cracker off this forum,

i sold mine a long time back when i was out of work and i can't for the life of me think what glass to place on it now, i had a old nikko 4/12x50 that was as clear as day but i am trying to hold onto my budget for the 243 as well as get a nice wee scope for the hummer.

So

what are you guys using on your 17 hmrs.

it will be used both under the lamp and in daylight

thanks

bob.

Evening Bob
i used this on mine and on a few other rifles An Olivon ranger x56 mil dot ir View attachment 47453,
try'd one of them scopes made for the hmr !! for me they were a fence post , just get a big x 56 with what ever ret you like , a dot or ir is nice day or night, don't need to bust the bank to get a good scope for the hmr boss just a clear and big obj will do the job very well. i was selling this one but i have put it on the .22 and retiring the old white tail .:tiphat:

The mtc mamba can be picked up for a reasonable price and are well suited to the hmr 17 or a falcon Merlin or menace had both . Also good with add-on nv if you ever go down that route in the future like shelling peas if not been shot before

I use a Trijicon 3-9x42 cause I like the "always on" illumination. But that's not going to do anything good to your .243 budget....

cheers lads

ill keep shopping and see whats what when i get back from Germany

bob.

The HMR does not need an expensive scope but I have Nikko Sterling laserking 4.5-14 x 50 for mine, but I use a Pulsar N550 mostly.

The mtc mamba can be picked up for a reasonable price and are well suited to the hmr 17

+1

That's what I use on mine :thumb:

It does 'white out' a bit at the highest mag settings when compared to high end glass, but like most variables mine spends most of its life between 6-8, occasionally 12!

Hi mate ,
hope your all well :)
have you thought about a simmons whitetail classic ? Really good scopes for the money

this what i have taken off, i found under the lamp i lost def but its a scope ill never sell as the old ones are very good.

Hi mate ,
hope your all well :)
have you thought about a simmons whitetail classic ? Really good scopes for the money

cheers lads

i'll have think when im away im leaving for germany in the morning for some beer and boar,

i hope i have some money left on my return. roll on the comrades meeting in Paderborn on the way :)

bob.

Is it going to be day shooting or lamping? I went for a rather overkill variable mag on the scope for the Sako Quad, MTC Viper. Good for playing around with in the day, but wouldn't dream of it on a night rifle. S&B fixed on the night rifle. Nice and simple for quick shots when bounding around in the Land Rover.

The value for money, HMR scope is a never ending quest, first up was a bushmaster 4/12 x 40, quickly replaced with a niko sterling 6x40
which did quite well, night vision needed a parralax adjust so a mamba lite came home,, found it heavy, fussy and nothing special,
the nikko went back on,next a hawke 3/9 x 50, again too heavy and eye relief fussy and no real advantages so back to nikko.
Things that are starting to home in on, 6x is plenty and 4x is usable, got a hawke 3/9x40 on now, quite liking mildots but they need to be 1/2 milcot for HMR.
Turrets might be the answer.. have learnt that ordinary mounts hold zero pretty well when removing/ refitting.
Have probably spent enough on cheaper scopes to have purchased a top end one, but would i have been happy, i think not, there is a need to follow the learning curve

Try a bushnell legend 5-15x40.

I have one on my hmr and had one on a 22-250, both for lamping fox and bunnies.

You can pick one up for £100 and they have nice clear optics.

in use a falcon menace on my .17hmr, ive never owned a falcon scope before always sticking to the big names but i just couldnt afford to put one on the 17 so i had a deal on the falcon with my local gun shop and to be honest it does its job and some

cheers lads

i will not have a MTC so they are out.

anyway just back from germany and on the look out again.

looking for now more than 12/14 mag and have a tight budget after the trip.

cheers

bob.

I have a hawke sidewinder brand new here if your interested 4-16 mag mil dot .

thank you but not a fan of

hawke
MTC
bushnell

and i don't have that big a budget for top end glass for a HMR :(

would love a oldder nikko stirling 4/12x50 black gloss front pa 1" tube, these had great glass and i wish i never sold mine when i had bills to pay :(

bob.

thank you but not a fan of

hawke
MTC
bushnell

and i don't have that big a budget for top end glass for a HMR :(

would love a oldder nikko stirling 4/12x50 black gloss front pa 1" tube, these had great glass and i wish i never sold mine when i had bills to pay :(

bob.

Hi Bob

I remember you not being a Bushnell fan from BBS (like looking down a drain pipe?) but I have a Legend on my HMR and am very pleased with it apart from the thickness of the cross hairs at long range. How about a Meopta 7X50? I have one on my .243 and if I was to replace the Legend with anything it would be one of those. I recon it would be a cracking scope on an HMR.

Jim

Back