Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: 270 v 308 barrel waer question.

  1. #1

    270 v 308 barrel waer question.

    I am looking at getting back into stalking and culling in the relatively near future (Hopefully around December) and will need to buy a rifle suitable for the job. Due to my financial pisition I am going to have to settle for a cheap pre -owned rifle (Maybe a BSA Majestic/Monarch or a Parker Hale) while I save up for a better one. I am thinking of either a 270 or a 308.
    Therefore my question to the "more knowledgable" of you out there is as follows:
    Which of these two chosen calibres is less likely to suffer barrel wear/throat burning etc (given roughly the same amount of shots put through them). I appreciate that this is a bit of an "open ended question" as there might not be any way of knowing if either has been used with "hot loaded home loads" so all I can do is to ask you if you could generalise please.
    Another question that I should be asking myself is about the availability of reasonable factory ammunition for either of the two calibres. The rifle would be used predominantly for culling species including Reds and Sikas at ranges out to around 200 yards max - And of course the odd fox that might be silly enough to wander into a sensible range. Not that it should make much difference but to help to keep the weight down a little I would not be thinking of fitting a moderator for the time being.

    Your thoughts and opinions are most welcome and if you have a preference please could you explain why!



  2. #2
    A bit more room in the .270 case, which certainly gives the opportunity for hotter loads. And it burns a bit more powder for the same bullet weight/velocity even in factory loads. Not sure either difference would be worth talking about though.

    In Ireland neither ammunition is hard to get, but there are a few more options in the .308. Don't know if England is the same or not.

    At 200 yards you're not going to notice any difference in their ballistics.

    I'd get whichever you found a nice rifle in first.

    Cheers,
    Jeff.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    A bit more room in the .270 case, which certainly gives the opportunity for hotter loads. And it burns a bit more powder for the same bullet weight/velocity even in factory loads. Not sure either difference would be worth talking about though.

    In Ireland neither ammunition is hard to get, but there are a few more options in the .308. Don't know if England is the same or not.

    At 200 yards you're not going to notice any difference in their ballistics.

    I'd get whichever you found a nice rifle in first.

    Cheers,
    Jeff.
    It's not case capacity that dictates rate of barrel wear. Rather, it is case capacity relative to bore diameter that does.

    .270 is overbore. Fact.

    You will get much better barrel life out of the .308 cartridge. Fact.

    If you don't shoot often then it doesn't really matter because your barrel will outlive you. Fact.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian1 View Post
    It's not case capacity that dictates rate of barrel wear. Rather, it is case capacity relative to bore diameter that does.

    .270 is overbore. Fact.

    You will get much better barrel life out of the .308 cartridge. Fact.

    If you don't shoot often then it doesn't really matter because your barrel will outlive you. Fact.
    I understand what you are saying but I was thinking more along the lines of which calibre might show higher barrel wear already on a pre-owned rifle as I would like one that is still capable of shooting a reasonably tight group.
    I doubt if I would be firing more than about 200 (Factory loaded) shots per year through whichever calibre I opted for.

    Thank you for your input, it all helps!



  5. #5
    Get someone to check out whatever you're thinking of buying with a bore-scope if you can.
    Otherwise it's guesswork as to the state of the throat or any bit of the bore for that matter.
    Too many variables as to barrel wear - number of shots, how hot a load, how well looked after the rifle was all affect its health and longevity.
    As to chambering, either the .270 or .308 will do the job, just get a rifle you like and could live with, ammo ought to be available for both pretty much on equal terms.
    Good luck
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by geoshot View Post
    Get someone to check out whatever you're thinking of buying with a bore-scope if you can.
    Otherwise it's guesswork as to the state of the throat or any bit of the bore for that matter.
    Too many variables as to barrel wear - number of shots, how hot a load, how well looked after the rifle was all affect its health and longevity.
    As to chambering, either the .270 or .308 will do the job, just get a rifle you like and could live with, ammo ought to be available for both pretty much on equal terms.
    Good luck
    Can't sum it up much better than that.

  7. #7
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Posts
    5,381
    I'd disagree on the "overbore" issue this matter. The case neck length is important. So just as 6mm Remington has a longer neck than does 243 Winchester and less neck erosion then I believe that the advantage of 270 WCF over 308 WCF is that the longer neck of the 270 will, to a small extent, be advantageous in lowering throat wear. I'd imagine that 300 Win Mag must suffer a lot however.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I'd disagree on the "overbore" issue this matter. The case neck length is important. So just as 6mm Remington has a longer neck than does 243 Winchester and less neck erosion then I believe that the advantage of 270 WCF over 308 WCF is that the longer neck of the 270 will, to a small extent, be advantageous in lowering throat wear. I'd imagine that 300 Win Mag must suffer a lot however.
    Please provide source regarding the 6mm Rem. vs .243 in barrel life relative to neck length.

    I disagree, but my disagreement is not based only on a theoretical model. I've known enough gunsmiths and shooters alike throughout my years that would attest the fact that throat/barrel wear is greater on the .270 compared to the .30-06 or .308 Win. I've personally never owned a .270 long enough to shoot out a barrel.

    Neck length and shoulder angle may have an impact of ROBW, but it does not magically make a cartridge that is by definition overbore (.270 case volume to bore area ratio: 1095) all of a sudden become a mild round. Relative to the mild CVBAR of the .308 Win., which is around 752, the .308 will have a slower ROW. There are other variables (incl. pressure and heat), but cartridge capacity (or rather the amount of propellent used relative to the bore diameter) is the largest contributing factor known to [real] ballisticians. Is the difference worth worrying over in a hunting rifle? No. But it is an issue amongst hunters who see value in improving their marksmanship skills as they will be spending a lot of time at the range.
    Last edited by Canadian1; 02-10-2014 at 17:27.

  9. #9
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Posts
    5,381
    Please provide source regarding the 6mm Rem. vs .243 in barrel life relative to neck length.
    I think some of the earlier editions of Cartridges of the World and early Gun Digest publications but into this is factor of the case design of the 6mm Remington and that it operates with weight for weight equivalent powder charges as a .243 WCF at lower pressure.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I think some of the earlier editions of Cartridges of the World and early Gun Digest publications but into this is factor of the case design of the 6mm Remington and that it operates with weight for weight equivalent powder charges as a .243 WCF at lower pressure.
    Thanks. So is this a consequence of case size relative to charge weight and the resulting pressure & heat? or neck length? The larger case will always operate at lower pressures all other variables equal (powder type, weight, case shape, etc.) because of the case space/powder ratio. This can be good in some ways (less powder for desired velocity) and bad in others (higher pressure and heat). It's finding the optimal balance that's tricky, but it's been done.

Similar Threads

  1. Sako Finnlight Barrel diameter question.
    By tartinjock in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-05-2013, 16:43
  2. Barrel length / moderator / velocity question
    By Wheesht! in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 16:58
  3. Sauer .308 barrel and threading question
    By godfather in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-01-2013, 22:23
  4. fps question vs barrel length
    By 223 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 22:19
  5. Barrel Question
    By flyingfisherman in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 22-07-2010, 22:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •