Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn is here - the geese have arrived...

Autumn is here - the geese have arrived...

It's a lovely morning - cold and crisp - and the sight and sound of large skeins of geese flying overhead makes it 'official'.....autumn is here (and on the way into work this morning I don't think I've ever seen as many geese on the stubbles!).

I love mornings like this. Apart from the having to go to work bit obviously! !
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

First ground frost here in Consett this morning.

Great isn't it Merlin.
    They started coming in 2 weeks ago but their numbers have really increased the last few days.
    There was a bit on the news a couple of days ago about the numbers at Martin mere being higher than ever (think it was 36k at the moment). Last year's count was up towards 90k for the area.
    Do you remember 30 years ago it was a good year if 10k arrived?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Great isn't it Merlin.
    They started coming in 2 weeks ago but their numbers have really increased the last few days.
    There was a bit on the news a couple of days ago about the numbers at Martin mere being higher than ever (think it was 36k at the moment). Last year's count was up towards 90k for the area.
    Do you remember 30 years ago it was a good year if 10k arrived?

I'd seen drips and drabs over the last week or two, but all of a sudden there are loads of them! Every year when I start to hear them honking way up that tells me that summer has been and gone and the pheasant season is just around the corner. I think it makes a pretty impressive sight when you can stand under them of an evening watching wave after wave after wave of them fly over.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

You lucky, lucky people!

Just a taster for you then pm.......taken in the back garden

Last edited by limulus; 02-10-2014 at 08:50.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Whilst its quite warm for this time of year and not had a real frost yet there were skeins of Trana (Cranes) that summer here flying south yesterday. So it must be Autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Just a taster for you then pm.......taken in the back garden
    Oh that makes me want to go back to the marshes! But I can't, damn it. One day I'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    I think it makes a pretty impressive sight when you can stand under them of an evening watching wave after wave after wave of them fly over.
    I always try and climb the hill to a loch called Loch nan Geadh which means goose loch in Gaelic and as it gets towards the end of September if there is a north westerly the geese are often coming over in their thousands. I'd lie up there with the telescope and watch the stags in at the end of the hills and enjoy the feeling that summer is coming to an end.

For a bit of comedy value I also, always, try for a trout on the loch and as far as I know it is one of the very few lochs on Lewis that doesn't actually hold any fish. I've been trying for about 20 years and have never caught anything :-)

Even without the geese the views from the top are great, but they certainly add something to a goose loch visit:

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I was on the wash last weekend, heard a few teal on the tide but saw no geese over the marsh.

Not an ideal flight thou, calm sunny weather with millions of Mosquitos!!!!!

Role on the cold weather.