Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: musing on the redundancy of calibre debates

musing on the redundancy of calibre debates

There seems to have been another of the periodic surges in 'what calibre' threads, with the usual passionate advocacy of one cartridge over another.

In fact, for every cartridge between .243 and .30-06, you can find at least two or three people utterly convinced that THIS is THE cartridge - and they will give detailed and ostensibly reasonable explanations for why.

It got me thinking: this really just seems to illustrate that for UK stalking, at standard stalking ranges, the differences between them are so marginal as to be objectively insignificant. They all work perfectly well, and the perceived differences are more down to personal conviction, individual ability and (maybe) variation in rifle and bullet construction.

To put it another way: how many people would even notice if you swapped their rifle for an identical one in a different chambering? I imagine very few - and even fewer would see it actually affecting their stalking.

If only your FAC simply said 'x number of deer legal rifles in the calibres of the holders choice'.

I think you are probably right, it is all fine if it is taken as a bit of light hearted fun, but really getting worked up about my 260 is better than your 6.5 x 55 is really a bit tedious!

David.

People like to dissect each rounds performance and argue the theoretical benefits. I think it comes from not having shot enough different chamberings. If you have, you realize that about any rifle works in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. How often does a person write "I've never owned a (fill in the blank) but this it how ot compares to MY (fill in the blank)"?? People love to continually convince themselves that what they shoot is the best.~Muir

If forced to have a 308 say, how many deer would you have to pass on?

Quote Originally Posted by joe soapy View Post
    If forced to have a 308 say, how many deer would you have to pass on?
    As someone who ended up with a .308 essentially by accident, I can now confidently say precisely none.

don't you dare bring reason and facts into a calibre debate !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    People like to dissect each rounds performance and argue the theoretical benefits. I think it comes from not having shot enough different chamberings. If you have, you realize that about any rifle works in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. How often does a person write "I've never owned a (fill in the blank) but this it how ot compares to MY (fill in the blank)"?? People love to continually convince themselves that what they shoot is the best.~Muir
    Somewhere between the .22 Hornet (on the left) and the Big Mauser (on the right) and you've covered every game and vermin species more than adequately. But that's not the point of debate, is it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0176.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	380.1 KB 
ID:	47465

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    As someone who ended up with a .308 essentially by accident, I can now confidently say precisely none.
    Indeed, as someone who applied for calibers based on what I shot with my father as a boy I seem to have most bases covered. They were .22 .22-250 .308 x 2. The only one that had any forethought was the .308(7.62) for TR. It is only afterwards when I started talking to other stalkers and shooters that I have become more interested in ballistics that I bothered to read up about what else is out there. If I had no inclination to study or have a thirst for understanding (and wasn't a member of this outstanding forum) then I'd happily carry on shooting with these rifles without giving other chamberings a second thought. The trouble is that I do and there are so many cartridges I'd like to try

It all just makes me wonder if I'm missing out on something!!! Might have to get a .308 just to scratch that itch
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quite! I can quite honestly say that I bought my deer rifle because it was a LH action. It wasn't even an especially good fit, but I've modified that. The calibre was the last thing on my mind and I would have bought anything deer legal that Sussex police would let me have. Of course, being .308 makes it potentially suitable for boar as well, which I do view as an advantage, but I'd probably have bought it even if had been a .243....