Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading Start-Up costs

Reloading Start-Up costs

Ok, so I want to start reloading so that I can have an single affordable .308 round for hunting and range work. Plan is to have an SGK based solution or similar.

I don't want to fiddle about with bits and bobs and find out I've spent 400 getting set-up when it turns out I could have bought a top kit for the same amount. I'll be honest I'm getting tired of the fiddling with scopes and stocks and various rounds etc etc and just want a simple solution....

Should I just go out and buy a Lee Load Master or somesuch or is it just more overplugged, overpriced American tat?

if its any help give us bell 01263 732740 to have a chat and i can help you with a kit to suit your needs

if thats not to pushy

here all night
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

LOL, no problem. Just had a look on your site and it's the best range I've seen. Let me see what other folks have to say and if it's one of your kits, you have a sale.

A Lee 4-hole turret press kit will do all you need.
    Add some nice RCBS scales, a brass tumbler, and a chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    if its any help give us bell 01263 732740 to have a chat and i can help you with a kit to suit your needs

if thats not to pushy

here all night

I can assure you that you won't go far wrong speaking to Mark. Not only are his prices good but his service is excellent and his manner very pleasant and helpful.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

i would go with spud he will set you up with what your looking for. The good thing about reloading is you can spend as much or as little as you want and achieve the same goal only adding bits as you go on to make your life easier. One thing i would recomend is invest in a few manuals and a good solid press and a decent beam scale these should then last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    Ok, so I want to start reloading so that I can have an single affordable .308 round for hunting and range work. Plan is to have an SGK based solution or similar.

I don't want to fiddle about with bits and bobs and find out I've spent 400 getting set-up when it turns out I could have bought a top kit for the same amount. I'll be honest I'm getting tired of the fiddling with scopes and stocks and various rounds etc etc and just want a simple solution....

Should I just go out and buy a Lee Load Master or somesuch or is it just more overplugged, overpriced American tat?
    Very little, apart from the press and lube pad remains from my RCBS kit. A lot depends on your approach to things. The one comment I would make is that given you are London based, you need to factor in the costs of load testing. I've got .308 stalking and target ammunition in my gun cupboard just now and given the ease of getting this ammo, I'm not going to be rushing off to reload .308 Win any time soon.

Regards

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    A Lee 4-hole turret press kit will do all you need.
    Add some nice RCBS scales, a brass tumbler, and a chronograph.
    defintly would not suggest a four hole turret for a new comer to reloading a single stage is what you need whether it bee lee lyman rcbs redding etc
    you do not need a tumbler but they are handy if you do get one but not a neccasity
    a chrony is handy for working out drops etc but once again not needed for reloading from the start

as i say to all new comers ill advice in an impartial way and from over 25 years reloading , i dont care if you but it from me or another uk seller ill be honest all the way

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    defintly would not suggest a four hole turret for a new comer to reloading a single stage is what you need whether it bee lee lyman rcbs redding etc
    you do not need a tumbler but they are handy if you do get one but not a neccasity
    a chrony is handy for working out drops etc but once again not needed for reloading from the start
    Honest advise and very similar to my own opinion on the subject.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.