Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we manage

How did we manage

Just sitting here thinking, how did we ever cull deer with calibres like 303 and 270 even 22, and rifles, that did not have fancy stocks and high powered scopes, perhaps deer were easier to shoot, and they have developed there senses to defeat us.

How did we ever manage to get to work on a horse and cart, or do with just candle light indoors..? Times change, make life easier.. Im sure if the cavemen could talk, they would be asking the same question about spears and arrows versus an old .303.

What i really think is that good gear covers a lack of skill. This is the man who has a pair of geovids, a PM2 and a custom rifle speaking.. Not saying that i dont have the skill, but its nice to use. same as driving a car or having electricity in your house.

Just like angling shops catch fishermen. Gun shops have got to make a profit so they tell you that you need the new super carbon fibre realtree print, uber expensive gun or thing a me bob, that you never new you needed!

I agree Taff. Hence why I've just bought a open sight single shot. It doesn't make me better same as all the gear don't make you worse, just going traditional makes it harder and I want the challenge

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    How did we ever manage to get to work on a horse and cart, or do with just candle light indoors..? Times change, make life easier.. Im sure if the cavemen could talk, they would be asking the same question about spears and arrows versus an old .303.

What i really think is that good gear covers a lack of skill. This is the man who has a pair of geovids, a PM2 and a custom rifle speaking.. Not saying that i dont have the skill, but its nice to use. same as driving a car or having electricity in your house.
    What's a PM2??

Consumerism. Pure and simple. Most people get their jollies off looking at and fantasizing about hunting gear more than they actually like hunting.

Long range hunting is not hunting. Period. It is shooting at live targets.

Hunting is a developed skill that requires knowledge of your prey, their habitat, tracking and stalking (wind, noise, smell, sight, etc.)

For many people in our instant gratification society, they don't want to put in the effort. So they buy super duper expensive clothing, magnum rifles and high powered scopes with the false premise that it will make them more successful. Some will pay for someone else to do all the work for them. They simply show up and reap the rewards. These are not hunters.

Hunting is, above all, about respect and love for your quarry and putting them first. Extreme long range hunting is not about the animals, it is about the ego.

Here are a couple good articles on the topic:

Long Shots: When Does Hunting Become Target Shooting? | OutdoorHub

http://www.hollandandholland.com/new...ieldsports.pdf

The only people who bang on about newer = better probably don't hunt.

And for those of us who do? We choose our tools accordingly.

Canadian - Who mentioned the meaning of hunting? Or the views on how far away something is when you pull the trigger?

You make a fair few generalisations and alienate anyone who has bought themselves a new jacket, or a scope more than whatever you deem to be excessive or anyone who has been on a paid stalk.. Im afraid ive done all three of the above, so i suppose that by your ruling, im far from being a hunter. I sort of take umbrage to that!

the fact that ive stalked and shot rabbits and lots of other critters since being knee high to a roe deer, using an iron sighted air rifle, or that ive stalked to within yards of deer before not shooting them, or learning about creatures so that you can snare them or trap them counts for little.

Clothes, rifles, kit in general are materials used (whether needed or not) to let people enjoy hunting/shooting/killing or whatever you choose to call it. Don't chastise people for wanting to spend some of their hard earned money on what they deem nice equipment. Don't chastise them for going out with guide to shoot deer. It may be because of lack of experience or wanting to learn about a new species not present on their land, or more probably because unlike canada, shooting in the UK is as rare as hens teeth to get where you have access to go unguided.

PS: your definition of hunting is incorrect. google it!

Canadian - Who mentioned the meaning of hunting? Or the views on how far away something is when you pull the trigger?

You make a fair few generalisations and alienate anyone who has bought themselves a new jacket, or a scope more than whatever you deem to be excessive or anyone who has been on a paid stalk.. Im afraid ive done all three of the above, so i suppose that by your ruling, im far from being a hunter. I sort of take umbrage to that!

the fact that ive stalked and shot rabbits and lots of other critters since being knee high to a roe deer, using an iron sighted air rifle, or that ive stalked to within yards of deer before not shooting them, or learning about creatures so that you can snare them or trap them counts for little.

Clothes, rifles, kit in general are materials used (whether needed or not) to let people enjoy hunting/shooting/killing or whatever you choose to call it. Don't chastise people for wanting to spend some of their hard earned money on what they deem nice equipment. Don't chastise them for going out with guide to shoot deer. It may be because of lack of experience or wanting to learn about a new species not present on their land, or more probably because unlike canada, shooting in the UK is as rare as hens teeth to get where you have access to go unguided.

Some reading comprehension is in order. Re-read my post. Your post is classic straw-man, mister. A response to a non-response. A seeing only what one wants to see.

To summarize. Shooting is not the same as hunting. Gear and equipment does not make up for hunting skill. Hard work and effort make a hunter, not his fancy rifle or scope. And yes, I have my opinions on hunting that are based in conservation ethics and respect for game.

Contrary to what you mis-read in my post, I am all for high quality, first rate hunting equipment. A bespoke rifle, to the experienced hunter, is a thing of beauty--practically and aesthetically. A good set of glass is equally charming and useful. Proper clothing is necessary to an enjoyable i.e. successful hunt. But none of that will make up for hunting skills, which you cannot buy.

The original poster, I'm assuming, was being satirical. My post was a commentary on why people feel the need for this equipment when it isn't necessary and can even be a hindrance. The fact that extreme long range hunting is actually promoted by the gun rags is part of the problem. All of a sudden 600+ yard shots are commonplace. I call BS.

I'll indulge: Full Definition of HUNTING. 1 : the act of one that hunts; specifically : the pursuit of game.

For a simpleton, this is a point blank definition.

Just as the definition of shooting is: an act of shooting a gun

Does that definition consider all aspects of shooting a firearm? internal, external and terminal ballistics? How about the human variable? psychology? technique?

The answer is, of course, no.

Now go look up an encyclopaedic entry on hunting.

Luckily we don't get that sort of stuff over here in the UK. As I reckon most hunters have a pretty healthy respect for their quarry. From what I see anyways.

I understand the OPs sentiment and get it completely. Nobody likes that guy he's eluding to..

Your post read to me like you were slating anyone with more than the minimum requirement to shoot with.. And frankly a bit of a rant. That's what the forum is for, and who wouldn't agree with your underlying theme about hunting/stalking.

What's the difference between long range and extreme long range then?! As I said earlier, ultra long hunting (sorry, can't resist the temptation to bait you..) seems to still live on the other side of the Atlantic.

With your obvious preference to getting up close and personal, do you do any archery?