Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Container

Shipping Container

Am thinking about replacing my caravan with a shipping container and converting it for staying in, when at the wood. I am told that they suffer from condensation and wonder if anyone here has any experience of doing this?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    Am thinking about replacing my caravan with a shipping container and converting it for staying in, when at the wood. I am told that they suffer from condensation and wonder if anyone here has any experience of doing this?
    Never done one out for living in but they are always soaking wet in the winter inside with condensation!

What benefit are you looking for ?
    Security ? No as you will have to make a new door so can get out.
    Light ? containers don't have windows.
    They do suffer from condensation even though they have purge valves.

Even the rough ones attract metal thieves we had one cut up and removed from a wood in a night ! all that was left was about 4'x4' of panel and aload of cutting disks.

ATB

Line it with celotex or a spray insulation.

Wouldn't you require planning permission as well? Could be an issue there, your best battening it out then using spray insulation that sticks to the walls. First fit, plaster board and skim and apply fixture and fittings.

The spray insulation is the key factor, as if you leave a gap (cavity) you will just condensation form and have damp on your walls.

Could try constructing an internal partition with insulation, vapour barrier, boarding and vent the outer skin.

Brian.

Don't do it. It just isn't worth it.
    You have no idea how wet with condensation one person can make it. The huge metal surface area will also make it incredibly cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
    I've been forced to live in them in all climates, in right arsehole areas of the world. They're bloody miserable unless completely modified until hardly recognizable as a container. You're talking thousands just to make bearable.

Bloody hell. I have been thinking about it for weeks. should have saved myself the time and asked you lot first. Wasn't thinking about sharing it with 35 Afghans but it seems even without that its not a great idea.

I can only echo everyone else. We used to have them as sheds/workshops at the place I worked for. In winter they were as cold as outside even with a heater going, and in summer they were like ovens.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog