Thread: SAKo 85 stainless laminate varmint opinions?

SAKo 85 stainless laminate varmint opinions?

Hi guys,

i have just put a deposit down on a sako 85 stainless varmint laminate .308

now all i need to know is

what ammo works best through it?
    whats the best scope for it?
    whats the best mod?
    are the optilock rings worth the cash?
    what sort of sling to get?
    is it worth investing in a bipod?

cheers for all the help guys

what ammo works best through it? - Depends what you're shooting at. - 308 is a very tolerant calibre so almost any ammo will work well. "Best" - in your rifle - only you can determine this by trying alternatives.
    whats the best scope for it? - Again it depends what you're shooting at. "Short range" stalking or "Long" range targets mean different scopes.
    whats the best mod? - ASE are good - a bit heavy --- but your rifle is a heavy lump too so weight not a problem???
    are the optilock rings worth the cash? Definitely!
    what sort of sling to get? A strong wide one - Look at a Z-Aim (Moray Outfitting stock these) They keep a heavy rifle in control when hiking & rifle deployment is quick, easy & silent.
    is it worth investing in a bipod? As it's a varminter probably yes for range work. But it will make a heavy, bulky rifle more difficult to carry comfortably.

Ian

Ammo will be specific to the rifle, best bet is to buy a few boxes of what you can get locally and then spend time practicing and try different brands and weights.

Scope depends on what you want to use it for but a good second hand fixed 6 or 8 mag is a good starting point.

It's a heavy barrel so maybe a light mod? Plenty to choose from.

Personally I don't think optilocks are worth it compared with Leupold and Burris just depends if the fit the action.

As its a heavy rifle (I've got one) I'm going to get a Harkilla backpack sling to keep it in position while stalking.

Bipods are useful depending on terrain. Not much use in long grass or woodlands but good on long shots and for zeroing etc.

i shoot the same rifle and calibre as a stalking rifle ,all thats been said above is spot on ! i shoot home loaded 125g through mine and it loves them it also loves 150 165 and 175 though it does not like 110gn "these still group more than adequately for stalking but physcologicaly not for me!!!",i use a bipod for range work,but not for stalking and use a wide sling for comfort "it is a heavy lump",optilock on mine, WOULD I CHANGE ANT OF IT NO !!!!! you WILL enjoy this gun ! silly accurate

Quote Originally Posted by glyn View Post
    i shoot the same rifle and calibre as a stalking rifle ,all thats been said above is spot on ! i shoot home loaded 125g through mine and it loves them it also loves 150 165 and 175 though it does not like 110gn "these still group more than adequately for stalking but physcologicaly not for me!!!",i use a bipod for range work,but not for stalking and use a wide sling for comfort "it is a heavy lump",optilock on mine, WOULD I CHANGE ANT OF IT NO !!!!! you WILL enjoy this gun ! silly accurate
    I agree with the previous Glyn! As for scope I would suggest something in the 3-12, 4-14, 3-18 range. Many people will say that you don't need the variable, especially not a high mag one, but I think it makes the whole package more versatile. Goes without saying that the scope should be good quality but there are plenty of good second hand ones out there.

What are you going to use it for then we can advise you a bit better

if your stalking you will soon notice the weight of an 85 varmint thats for sure

if using optilocks and a 56mm / 30mm tube scope with butler creeks youll need medium rings due to barrel profile that makes it a high cheek mount just so you know

I have exactly the same rifle and am very happy with it. It is very accurate and has accounted for many deer. I shoot 150gr sierra gamekings (boat tail) over N140. They do the job very well. I have a S&B scope which I like but there are alternatives. I have had no issues with the optillocks so would say they are a good investment. As too moderators it is a heavy rifle so go light, I chose titanium but there are others just as light. The sling is important, due to the weight it can slip off your shoulder. There are slings which will keep it in place such as the split slings do choose carefully. Alternatively you could do what I did and plat a braid from the scope to a clip on the sling which goes round your back.
    You will not regret buying this rifle as although heavy will cover all eventualities and as a varmint barrel will be good on the range as well.
    BE