Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a rifle with no sling

Carrying a rifle with no sling

Any suggestions?
    Its a highwall falling block so easy to carry unloaded but she's just over 10lbs, which is fine but may take it's toll on the arms over a long stalk. I don't want to add sling studs or swivels.
    Is it acceptable to carry it like the attached phot?

On my muzzle loader barrel/forestock that didn't have sling mounts I made a simple leather strap (4mm thick material) - close fitting on the barrel diameter - tied it on with leather thongs & fitted a small shackle through it for attaching a sling with spring catches on the end. Works a treat & doesn't mark the blueing on the barrel.
    For the rear stock, a simple leather choker loop round the pistol grip sorts out that end.

Ian

Cheers mate. I thought about the loop on the pistol grip but got stick on what t do with on the pointy end. I'll give that a go. Cheers again

When bush stalking in tight scrub in NZ it's common practice to take the sling off to stop it from hooking up on stuff. A rifle slung over the shoulder is often too slow to use for an off hand shot. So, rifles are typically held in one hand under the balance point (under the breech). Sometimes I'd cradle it in one arm with the barrel facing behind me over the crook of my elbow and holding onto the grip of the stock. I'd think it would have to be a pretty long stalk for it to be too much of a problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cradle.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	47524
    Cheers,
    Hayden

just use a gunslip ,a rifle without sling mounts and sling slides out without snagging turn the rifle with the scope facing down if it has one fitted to draw it out

Thats why i love this forum. I got a different way t hold it to ease strain, I got a couple of ideas and products for a sling with no swivels and to just keep it in it's slip.
    All solid options, cheers lads

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    I use something similar with one of my rifles but mine is made by Butler Creek. http://www.bushwear.co.uk/Product/bu...un-black-sling
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Red Dot and 8x57.

Thats just given me an idea for my 'project'.
    I was contemplating a barrel mounted sling/band and a butt spacer mounted sling swivel but this might be a better option.
    Mike I will pick your brains Mike to see how you get on with the bushwear sling but I like the niggolaoh(spelling) slings

Cheers
    Jon