Thread: GAP Insurance: Look left... Look right...

GAP Insurance: Look left... Look right...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep crash.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	375.7 KB 
ID:	47516

They stopped counting at £28k's worth of damage, and officially wrote it off on Wednesday. The crumple zone did its work though, and both myself and the other driver walked away to tell the tale, scratch free.

Heads up on a couple of things:
    1. Jeep Grand Cherokee's are f*****g expensive to repair, so bear this in mind if thinking of buying one. £750 for the grill (more than the bonnet), £1600 for a headlamp, £3,000 for Adaptive Cruise Control (which I never even switched on) - all exc. fitting costs at £48 per hour!!!

2. If ever offered GAP Insurance, don't waste time breathing in to say "yes". The £400 I spent on GAP 10 months and 7,000 miles ago will net me £8000 that would've been otherwise lost. If you don't know how it works, it's really simple; You are insuring the difference between what the main insurance company values the car at, and what you paid for it - less excess, and the cost of the GAP insurance - in this case, an £8,000 gap. Worth it? I should coco as it's valid for 3 years, so if this had happened in another 2 years time, the gap could've been £20,000 knowing Jeep depreciation!!!

3. Insure your No Claims Bonus if you can. It might add 10% or so to your premium, but again, if you have a big clunk, you'll start the following year where you left off without a bl**dy great hike in premium.

4. Look left, look right, look left and right once more for luck as I didn't. At 07:30 there was a black Corsa hidden in front of a larger black vehicle, the latter of which was indicating left to come down the road that I was pulling right out of onto the main road. I hadn't even registered that there were 2 vehicles so pulled out... Screech, thump, tinkle and the deed was done.

5. Watch what you are drinking if you know that you have to get into the car the next morning. Even though I'd not had a drop the evening before, it was still a surprise to be breathalysed at the scene. Not rocket science why it's SOP at any accident, but just makes you think what could've happened if I'd only stopped drinking at 02:00 hours.

This isn't intended as a teaching you all to suck eggs exercise, so please don't have a pop. Just be careful out there as the weather's changed and the mornings are dark. I wasn't, but got away with it - this time.

Now waiting for the payout and then going car shopping - not for a Jeep

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Iain.
    It sounds a bit clichéd but as long as there are no injuries then everything else can be sorted.

Modern Cars are enormously expensive to repair. My Boss has a Skoda Superb and the headlight for that was £1k! That is why we pay large Insurance Premiums. It is their problem then.

Don't give up on Jeep mate as I am sure a Range Rover or others would be no different.

Yorkie.

I think Range Rover dealers round here are now charging £165 an hour, and I'll bet parts aren't cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Hi Iain.
    It sounds a bit clichéd but as long as there are no injuries then everything else can be sorted.

Modern Cars are enormously expensive to repair. My Boss has a Skoda Superb and the headlight for that was £1k! That is why we pay large Insurance Premiums. It is their problem then.

Don't give up on Jeep mate as I am sure a Range Rover or others would be no different.

Yorkie.
    Hi Yorkie

The problem was that the Jeep really wasn't a smart buy in the first place! With 3 kids under 9 and a Lab pup we need 7 seats and a BIG boot - hence the wife's S-Max.

So, with logic now engaged - ie my wife telling me that I'm clearly an idiot, and that I should listen to her more often in future - we're reviewing the driveway contents...

She does max 5 miles a day, so chop in the S-Max for a Disco which I will nick when shooting, and I get a 3-series Touring with just enough boot for a carcass tray if needs be, but with 40-odd mpg as I do the 90% of the miles in the family.

Not at all clichéd. Metal, plastic & glass are all fixable or binnable, limbs less so
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

At least everyone is ok.

The cost of vehicle repairs is large and the insurance company would normally write off a vehicle if the damage is more than 60% of it value.

Iain,

Very glad to hear that everyone came out unscathed. I can't believe the coincidence of this post as I've just picked up a new to me, 2nd hand car and been looking at GAP insurance.

I hope you don't mind me asking who you got your insurance with and how they have dealt with your claim? I could do with somebody pointing me in the direction of the more reputable underwriters.

Thanks and happy vehicle shopping!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by si_b1979 View Post
    Iain,

Very glad to hear that everyone came out unscathed. I can't believe the coincidence of this post as I've just picked up a new to me, 2nd hand car and been looking at GAP insurance.

I hope you don't mind me asking who you got your insurance with and how they have dealt with your claim? I could do with somebody pointing me in the direction of the more reputable underwriters.

Thanks and happy vehicle shopping!

Simon
    Hi Simon

Main insurance is through Elite Performance, and the Gap insurance was via Hughes of Beaconsfield. At £400 I thought it a bargain, but I have a couple of mates that are brokers that sell Gap for about £200! Elite hae been great, but it's all been via their agent - everyone seem to have an agent, so for me I have:
    Broker
    Broker's agent
    Elite's agent
    Elite

No wonder insurance is so bl**dy expensive, as I'll bet that none of them are registered charities :-)

Cheers
    iain