Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm's

6mm's

Hello there I'm after a bit of advice. I'm looking at getting a 6mm I'm not wanting a 243. But I do like the idea of a .240 weatherby magnum. But what do you guys know about them and how do you rate them? And the rifle will be mainly used for foxing of the back of a truck.

Also some things id like to find out are;

what barrel length?
    rate of twist? For 70-80 grain bullets

cheers charlie

What about a 6XC? Blaser barrels and Norma ammunition available at Macleods in Tain. Regards JCS

Why not the 243 win? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    What about a 6XC? Blaser barrels and Norma ammunition available at Macleods in Tain. Regards JCS

Im after something fast and flat, and the 6xc isn't very fast. That's the only reason really....

And Druid , I had a 243 for a bit and just didn't get on with it. And I just fancy something a little bit different.

243' 243AI, 6mmPPC, 6mmBR, 6mmXC, 6mmRemington, 6mm06, 240 H&H Magnum, etc, etc, etc.

only one of the above is guaranteed to have ammunition and components in 99.9% of UK gunshops.

The Weaterby magnums seem like a good idea until you try to use them in the UK.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

im shooting a 6mmslr at the mo and they are an awesome round
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

P.S. My 243 does 3700 with 55gn bullets but will wear out in no time at that speed
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Also have a butchers at the 6x47

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    243' 243AI, 6mmPPC, 6mmBR, 6mmXC, 6mmRemington, 6mm06, 240 H&H Magnum, etc, etc, etc.

only one of the above is guaranteed to have ammunition and components in 99.9% of UK gunshops.

The Weaterby magnums seem like a good idea until you try to use them in the UK.
    Surely you can get ammunition for two of these? 243 Win for 243 Win and for 243 AI? Regards JCS

I am not a great 243 fan, but given you only want to shoot 70-80gr bullets, I don't see the point in burning much more powder than the 243 holds.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......