Thread: Easy repair for Butler Creeks

Easy repair for Butler Creeks

Here's a quick tip should you feel the need to repair your box full of knackered butler creeks...

If you are lucky enough to find and keep the snapped off covers and have enough meat left on the hinge part ( they seem to tear at the same point these days) then:
    a 2mm drill bit
    2 x 2.5mm machined screws and a plain nut (optional)
    1 x cut to length medium sized tywrap end

Hopefully the above will give you a decent repair, I have tried all sorts of glues, epoxys blah blah, IMHO, the only lasting repair /improvement is a mechanical fix

So...Drill your 2mm hole in hinge & tywrap & use the 2.5mm screw to cut its own thread to secure the tywrap to hinge, repeat for cover side, paying attention to lining up the ripped off cover to hinge, as before, use screwvto cut thread in tywrap and cover.

You can probably get away without the nut, but I fitted it to the outside as it won't damage the lens should it ever fall off when fitted on the inside. Drop of loctite wouldn't go amiss if you fancy it.

Anyway, hope this helps those who are bored and have some spare bits lying around.

Cheers
    Rb

Great idea - Thanks for sharing!!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Great idea - Thanks for sharing!!

Ian
    No probs Ian

A very good tip. just had a go using a pop rivet as I couldn't find the fitting recommended. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevenedwards View Post
    A very good tip. just had a go using a pop rivet as I couldn't find the fitting recommended. Thanks
    Good stuff & good idea using a pop rivet. Alwsys another option for someone else to try

Cunning hack but don't you hope someone from Butler Creek sees this thread and feels shamed into fixing their crappy product?

Nice one Rb glad I save the ones I have broken now