Using binoculars when lamping.

macfarlane

Just curious really who takes and uses binos when there out lamping.was going out the other night an was putting my gear in the jeep and my mate said what you taking your binos for.suppose I've always took them.

Just curious really who takes and uses binos when there out lamping.was going out the other night an was putting my gear in the jeep and my mate said what you taking your binos for.suppose I've always took them.

I don't..........However I have added a small led torch with a red beam to use as a spotter.
First outing nailed a huge dog fox as I picked out the eyes in the red light, set the gun up and back to my scope lamp....he went to run but not quick enough..........

Tim.243

I have a mate who takes his Leicas as they have the built in ballistics, better for those very long distance foxes

I take mine after all what would the alternative be, waving a loaded rifle around the countryside so that you could use the scope to spot?

I take mine after all what would the alternative be, waving a loaded rifle around the countryside so that you could use the scope to spot?

My system is a clip on lf 170 with modified handle (3 inches longer)

Rifle on shoulder, sticks under my arm, lamp in my hand to sweep the field.....
See the fox, make a plan gun, on sticks, clip the lamp on and shoot it....no waving a loaded rifle around the countryside.........

and no binio's............

Tim.243

Always been taught to use other means, other than weapon mounted optics, to locate targets, using this method is for warfare only.:eek:

Have always taken binos out lamping. Use them to make 100% sure that what I am shooting at is a fox. I cringe at the distances some people believe it is safe to shoot under the lamp.

Have always taken binos out lamping. Use them to make 100% sure that what I am shooting at is a fox. I cringe at the distances some people believe it is safe to shoot under the lamp.

Yep agree there mate, my eyesight ain't that good either.

Yep take them every time out lamping, why wouldn't you? So much easier to use the bino's than a rifle scope to identify what your looking at

Al

RED DOT how is it a stupid question ,id bet theres more guys out there using there rifle scopes to spot than take a pair of binos out with them.Especially guys that lamp on foot where weight is an issue,maybe not such an issue now with lamps and batteries getting smaller but back when i started shooting ,lamping it was a big spot light and a motorbike battery.If your using a motor to lamp its easy to just fling whatever you want in it.

Not just the target, you can also make sure the backstop is safe.
Too many `chuck-it and chance it `merchants around it would appear.

HWH.

Exactly.. sheep especially pregnant ewes, cats and cows have amber eyes and should be glassed ONLY with rock steady binoculars and not a riflescope which is impossible inside a vehicle. Double check then check again long before even thinking of pointing a rifle at anything.

Not just sheep that have amber eyes ,really dont think you can determine what an animal is at night just by eye colour alone depends on lots of things distance,kind of lamp your using,angle your at etc etc.said before i dont use my rifle for scanning use a hand held light force for spotting,binos for confirming its a fox,an the shots safe then i shoot using a scope mounted lamp only time the scope light goes on is to take the shot.

I have 10 huge farms and 2 of the biggest estates within twenty miles of here without incident since 1972 so please don't ask a question then lecture when the answers supplied doesn't agree with what you want to hear?

Lamping is by far the most dangerous rifle discipline and many have been injured or worse. Many farm animals have been tipped in ditches or hidden away through people just taking the shot. If bins help cut this down a bit and they do then take them with you. It will not be long before we can all shoot deer in a lamp and then things will get worse.

1972 RD you had permission then :rofl:

Yes 6P. 275 acres of year round anything goes shooting and that was when your licence was a folded postcard sized affair. Kept the local Chinese restuarant going in nice unpaunched bunnies.

I find bino's handy around the full moon, with a good bit of glass u can scan fields with out the lamp on, usually clearer than the naked eye.

Must admit i've never used them to check a target id, mibee just the size off fields i lamp over or range i shoot at but never needed bino's, and even any of the fulltime keepers/stalkers i have helped have never used bino's either. Will mibee give them a try thou

Must admit i always worry about all these folk with night vison gear on there rifles but no NV spotting scopes, got a copy of a video years ago and a very famous fox shooter was waving his rifle about scanning with a 240 monted on top of the scope.

Back