Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using binoculars when lamping.

Using binoculars when lamping.

Just curious really who takes and uses binos when there out lamping.was going out the other night an was putting my gear in the jeep and my mate said what you taking your binos for.suppose I've always took them.

Quote Originally Posted by macfarlane View Post
    Just curious really who takes and uses binos when there out lamping.was going out the other night an was putting my gear in the jeep and my mate said what you taking your binos for.suppose I've always took them.
    I don't..........However I have added a small led torch with a red beam to use as a spotter.
    First outing nailed a huge dog fox as I picked out the eyes in the red light, set the gun up and back to my scope lamp....he went to run but not quick enough..........

Tim.243

I have a mate who takes his Leicas as they have the built in ballistics, better for those very long distance foxes

I take mine after all what would the alternative be, waving a loaded rifle around the countryside so that you could use the scope to spot?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I take mine after all what would the alternative be, waving a loaded rifle around the countryside so that you could use the scope to spot?
    My system is a clip on lf 170 with modified handle (3 inches longer)

Rifle on shoulder, sticks under my arm, lamp in my hand to sweep the field.....
    See the fox, make a plan gun, on sticks, clip the lamp on and shoot it....no waving a loaded rifle around the countryside.........

and no binio's............

Tim.243

I use them for looking at deer (roe heads and body weight) while out lamping (foxes).

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Always been taught to use other means, other than weapon mounted optics, to locate targets, using this method is for warfare only.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Have always taken binos out lamping. Use them to make 100% sure that what I am shooting at is a fox. I cringe at the distances some people believe it is safe to shoot under the lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Have always taken binos out lamping. Use them to make 100% sure that what I am shooting at is a fox. I cringe at the distances some people believe it is safe to shoot under the lamp.
    Yep agree there mate, my eyesight ain't that good either.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Yep take them every time out lamping, why wouldn't you? So much easier to use the bino's than a rifle scope to identify what your looking at

Al