Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat cap help?

Flat cap help?

Since recently arriving from "The Colonies" I've been making an effort to assimilate into Pommy life. I've just put down my first trial batch of sloe gin (having not actually tried any yet). I'm wanting to get a flat cap, much to my kids disgust. There are a million and one on Google but I'd like to actually try one on for size etc first. So, the question is, what shops actually stock them? Where do I look? I'm not wanting to spend 50 - I just want a classic tweed cap for out and about. Any suggestions around the vicinity of Newbury (or Basingstoke).
    Thanks,
    Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi hunter View Post
    Since recently arriving from "The Colonies" I've been making an effort to assimilate into Pommy life. I've just put down my first trial batch of sloe gin (having not actually tried any yet). I'm wanting to get a flat cap, much to my kids disgust. There are a million and one on Google but I'd like to actually try one on for size etc first. So, the question is, what shops actually stock them? Where do I look? I'm not wanting to spend 50 - I just want a classic tweed cap for out and about. Any suggestions around the vicinity of Newbury (or Basingstoke).
    Thanks,
    Hayden
    Alright Hayden

Theres a number of places to go, but try a Farm and Equine store something like Scats there being re-branded at the moment but do have a couple of stores up your way;

SCATS Countrystores, Hectors Way, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 5AB

SCATS Countrystores, Wildmoor Lane, Sherfield-on-Loddon, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG27 0HA

quite a useful place for everything from nails to dog food.

hope this helps

WH

I have two, one from Countrywide (stores allover the place) but my favourite one which was cheaper and better was off a trader at a country fair. He had loads to choose out of so I got a nice Derby tweed.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

If you want a serious flat cap then you might like to follow in Bill Oddie's footsteps and take up the "Grand Martial Art of Eckythump". Otherwise as has already been said the best bet is to go to an "Out Door Shop" where you can try different ones on for size!

I've got a couple. A green tweed Olney from a posh little country clothing store, which was a bit pricey (40) but fits perfectly and is comfortable and very well made - I use it for stalking - and a slightly narrower Harris tweed cap which I bought while on holiday in the Hebrides. An absolute bargain at 15 and beautifully made. It will probably last longer than I will.
    Away from shows and gamefairs, country clothing stores and gunshops are the places to look. Try several makes to see what suits you. They are not all the same, there is a lot of variation in cut, style and fit. Tweed (Harris or Derby) is incredibly hard wearing and almost indestructible.
    Last edited by Finch; 05-10-2014 at 09:07.

leave bill and the monty python eee by gum !!! in the past and get a browning crushable as they keep the English rain out better.

you might want one of these for stalking, comes with a handle gralloching attachment

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CILLIAN-GRADED.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	47541
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Look on Bob Parretts web site.

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    you might want one of these for stalking, comes with a handle gralloching attachment

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CILLIAN-GRADED.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	47541
    +1 proper working mans cap

Woodlands Enterprise at Great Shefford is close to Newbury or there are shops in Hungerford just down the A4 from Newbury.