Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY cabinet?

DIY cabinet?

Hi all,
    Has anyone got any experience of making or having made a bespoke gun cabinet?
    My father has a friend who fabricates steel things, would it be of any benefit to me to design my own cabinet and ask him to build it. I've got no specific design needs, but would the cost be any less than buying a cheap retailer one (Dad gets mates rates).
    What would you recommend in terms of design that "off the shelf" cabinets don't have or don't do so well?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Hi all,
    Has anyone got any experience of making or having made a bespoke gun cabinet?
    My father has a friend who fabricates steel things, would it be of any benefit to me to design my own cabinet and ask him to build it. I've got no specific design needs, but would the cost be any less than buying a cheap retailer one (Dad gets mates rates).
    What would you recommend in terms of design that "off the shelf" cabinets don't have or don't do so well?
    How would it benefit you more than the existing one you all ready have....!!!

Tim.243

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    How would it benefit you more than the existing one you all ready have....!!!

Tim.243
    Easy, I don't!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

You must have an unusual FLO if you have firearms and NO cabinet.

HWH.

Not sure it would be cheaper but the biggest benefit is you can fit one to the size of the space and add things internally like hooks, shelves etc

its not rocket science after all and is just a 3mm steel lockable box afterall
    Just make sure locks are up to spec or better and gaps are small or better, covered

Personally I cannot see any benefit in doing a one off cabinet.
    I think the cost of building a one off and the risk that your FEO will deem it not suitable would far out weigh any financial savings.
    Folks like BrattonSound by everything in bulk and mass produce so their cost are much lower.
    Just my thoughs

Quote Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
    Personally I cannot see any benefit in doing a one off cabinet.
    I think the cost of building a one off and the risk that your FEO will deem it not suitable would far out weigh any financial savings.
    Folks like BrattonSound by everything in bulk and mass produce so their cost are much lower.
    Just my thoughs
    Like you say I can't see it working out any cheaper though you will probably fit better locks than those cheap nasty Chinese locks that Brattonsound fit, but then again good locks don't come cheap either. The other potential problem of a bespoke cabinet may have is that a FEO may question whether it conforms to British Standards as it won't carry a little sticker saying so even if it does actually exceed the "required" standard. Price the locks before you start Simon, you may be in for a shock.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Easy, I don't!
    So how do you store your guns...............?

Tim.243

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    So how do you store your guns...............?

Tim.243
    I don't have any yet
    Blog

Thanks for the input folks, seems like I've nothing to gain then. I'll buy a cheap and cheerful off the shelf job of a decent size before I apply for my ticket.
    Blog