DIY cabinet?

SimpleSimon

Hi all,
Has anyone got any experience of making or having made a bespoke gun cabinet?
My father has a friend who fabricates steel things, would it be of any benefit to me to design my own cabinet and ask him to build it. I've got no specific design needs, but would the cost be any less than buying a cheap retailer one (Dad gets mates rates).
What would you recommend in terms of design that "off the shelf" cabinets don't have or don't do so well?

Hi all,
Has anyone got any experience of making or having made a bespoke gun cabinet?
My father has a friend who fabricates steel things, would it be of any benefit to me to design my own cabinet and ask him to build it. I've got no specific design needs, but would the cost be any less than buying a cheap retailer one (Dad gets mates rates).
What would you recommend in terms of design that "off the shelf" cabinets don't have or don't do so well?

How would it benefit you more than the existing one you all ready have....!!!

Tim.243

Not sure it would be cheaper but the biggest benefit is you can fit one to the size of the space and add things internally like hooks, shelves etc

its not rocket science after all and is just a 3mm steel lockable box afterall
Just make sure locks are up to spec or better and gaps are small or better, covered

Personally I cannot see any benefit in doing a one off cabinet.
I think the cost of building a one off and the risk that your FEO will deem it not suitable would far out weigh any financial savings.
Folks like BrattonSound by everything in bulk and mass produce so their cost are much lower.
Just my thoughs

Personally I cannot see any benefit in doing a one off cabinet.
I think the cost of building a one off and the risk that your FEO will deem it not suitable would far out weigh any financial savings.
Folks like BrattonSound by everything in bulk and mass produce so their cost are much lower.
Just my thoughs

Like you say I can't see it working out any cheaper though you will probably fit better locks than those cheap nasty Chinese locks that Brattonsound fit, but then again good locks don't come cheap either. The other potential problem of a bespoke cabinet may have is that a FEO may question whether it conforms to British Standards as it won't carry a little sticker saying so even if it does actually exceed the "required" standard. Price the locks before you start Simon, you may be in for a shock.

Thanks for the input folks, seems like I've nothing to gain then. I'll buy a cheap and cheerful off the shelf job of a decent size before I apply for my ticket.

Always always buy a bigger cabinet than you think you could possibly need
.......or you will be soooooorrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:D:D

I know what you mean about the locks 8X57
Just had to replace the lock on my 7 gun cabinet. I also gave it plenty of graphite lock lube.
I have got the local locksmith trying to locate a better lock.
it got to a stage where I was afraid the key would snap but full credit to Brattonsound they sent me a replacement lock at no charge which arrived next day.

Go for it mate and have a cabinet made that exactly fits your needs.
Gun cabinets do not need to conform to any British Standard, in fact there is nothing in the firearms act saying that your firearms need to be kept in a cabinet.
All it says is that you must make provisions so that your firearms cannot be unlawfully accessed by those not authorised.

Ian.

There is a home office publication showing approved methods of construction, If I can find it I'll post a link.
Twts

My first shotgun cabinet was made 1994. . . A 100% DIY effort made from half inch medium density fibre board.
I kid you not !!!
It was secured with two decorative cabinet locks and passed scrutiny with flying colours.
In hindsite I can't believe it myself.

I agree with the above, no need to be kite marked.

Last edited:
Always always buy a bigger cabinet than you think you could possibly need
.......or you will be soooooorrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:D:D

That's one piece of advice I'm glad I listened to. Ended up getting a 6 gun cabinet which will comfortably take 2 rifles and a shotgun. Any more and it would just be a hassle each time I wanted to take one out.

Back