The Word Chap !

EMcC

I've heard the expression "He is a happy Chappie" used whenever someone has had some luck or "Who is that chap over there?"
I have always understood it as another way of saying 'Man' but recently the word 'Chap' seems to be creeping into use all over the place, what is going on ?
Hi Chap, Thanks Chap or Can you do so and so Chap !
To me it sounds/reads so strange in most of the cases where it is being used.
Has it been used on TV or by someone famous and picked up by us normal folk or is it supposed to sound as a friendly or familiar term?

Last edited:
The word originates in middle English and is a shorter form of "chapman" which over time was shortened to "chap". It originally meant an itinerant pedlar or tradesman/merchant. As in "that chap over there".

As opposed to "fellow" which originally came from Norse (those dastardly Vikings) where it meant a business associate or partner.

As opposed to "Laddie" which is a Scottish derivative of lad, meaning a male, generally a young one or one less senior.

As opposed to "bugger" (ignoring the sexual meaning) which is a derogatory term of "fellow" or "chap". E.g. "He's a silly little bugger then". (Quote from John Le Carre).

Knew you'd find that interesting.

when "chapman" billies leave the street and drouthy neebors neebors meet,as market days are wearing late and folk beguin to tak the gate;while we sit bousing at the nappy and getting fou and unco happy we think na of the lang scots miles,the mosses,waters,slaps, and styles,that lie beteen us and our hames whare sits our sulky sullen dame,gathering her brows like a gathering storm, nursing her wrath to keep it warm...robert burns 25.1.1759 ...21.7.1796 now if thats not enough to make ya stay out out a few extra hours i dint know what is :doh:

Wow !
This really has turned out to be an interesting and educational subject hasn't it, but, what I can't understand is the way the word 'Chap' is slung around in everyday written conversation almost like the word 'Mate' used to be. In that context it very rarely makes sense, to me.
Maybe being a 'soft southerner' has something to do with it,:doh: as for you Bob, I can state emphatically, that I do not wear a monocle:D

The word "chap" originates from the dictionary of the late Stanley Baxters well documented Parliamoglasgow quote of finding a rabbit in ones cabbage patch when ones family encourages one to.... "chappitoannaheid"?

As opposed to "fellow" which originally came from Norse (those dastardly Vikings) where it meant a business associate or partner.

I've noticed an increasing number of chaps at work calling me "Fella". I don't like it at all. It really grates. But it's a small matter in the big scheme of things.

the daughter n all her daft derby m,8,s call everyone chick.ya oright chick does my head in im not a bloody chick im a 6ft lumpy bloke .speek bloomin inglish woman

the daughter n all her daft derby m,8,s call everyone chick.ya oright chick does my head in im not a bloody chick im a 6ft lumpy bloke .speek bloomin inglish woman

I am the only chap in my team at work. Recently, I have been included in group emails that begin with the salutation "Hello girls". I've decided to consider this an honour.

The word "chap" originates from the dictionary of the late Stanley Baxters well documented Parliamoglasgow quote of finding a rabbit in ones cabbage patch when ones family encourages one to.... "chappitoannaheid"?

its acually chappitoanraheid but i hope thats not offensive to our indian brothers :doh:

Back