Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 cal or caliber ?

30 cal or caliber ?

im looking to buy a 30 caliber now before i put in for a variation i want to know what you guys think. do i ask for a variation to buy a 30 cal so if i see a nice rifle be it a 308_ 30-06 or even a 300 win i can buy it. or will the police refuse the request as it not caliber specific.

You are stating caliber specifically, ... .30 cal is just that, the cartridge behind the bullet is not part of the equation.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Only your flo can answer that

mine would only allow a specific cartridge specification on the variation despite my uncertainty between -06 and 300wm
    in the end I saw sense and got the 300wm

+1
    My FLO was the same. If you can justify it there is no reason why not like

Being under the Hampshire F.D as I guess you are, I think they would more than likely be cartridge specific i.e .308, .30-06 etc rather than caliber. I did have a chat on this subject a little while ago and that was the answer then.
    I would suggest with Hampshire you pretty much make up your mind before you put in your application. I recently put in for a variation having sold my 6.5x55 and wanted to get back my favourite cal .30-06 and the straight forward one for one variation took over THREE months.
    The ORDNANCE QF 18 pounder Field Gun......I wonder if they will let me have one of these on an open ticket

Hampshire granted me a "30 Cal rifle" variation a few years ago. This was their suggestion as I had told them I would make my mind up which cal I wanted when I found the right rifle. They were very constructive & positively logical on this & a few other issues. Always fair & responded properly to me in 20 years with me on their books.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Hampshire granted me a "30 Cal rifle" variation a few years ago. This was their suggestion as I had told them I would make my mind up which cal I wanted when I found the right rifle. They were very constructive & positively logical on this & a few other issues. Always fair & responded properly to me in 20 years with me on their books.

Ian
    Not Hampshire but this is exactly how my 300 Weatherby Magnum got on my FAC.

K

I find it crazy that they will have you jump hoops for something simple like a ammo allowance, adding boar or AOLQ, but will allow a range of cartridges to be acquitted from a 30-30 to a 300RUM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I find it crazy that they will have you jump hoops for something simple like a ammo allowance, adding boar or AOLQ,
    but will allow a range of cartridges to be acquitted from a 30-30 to a 300RUM!!!
    But a centrefire high velocity rifle is just that, wether it be a .223 or a 300 RUM, & dead is dead, sort of brings us back towards land being considered "Dangerous" for a particular round?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I find it crazy that they will have you jump hoops for something simple like a ammo allowance, adding boar or AOLQ, but will allow a range of cartridges to be acquitted from a 30-30 to a 300RUM!!!
    In fairness that was my 1982 application and from the Met Police.

K