30 cal or caliber ?

ndt man

im looking to buy a 30 caliber now before i put in for a variation i want to know what you guys think. do i ask for a variation to buy a 30 cal so if i see a nice rifle be it a 308_ 30-06 or even a 300 win i can buy it. or will the police refuse the request as it not caliber specific.

Only your flo can answer that

mine would only allow a specific cartridge specification on the variation despite my uncertainty between -06 and 300wm
in the end I saw sense and got the 300wm

Being under the Hampshire F.D as I guess you are, I think they would more than likely be cartridge specific i.e .308, .30-06 etc rather than caliber. I did have a chat on this subject a little while ago and that was the answer then.
I would suggest with Hampshire you pretty much make up your mind before you put in your application. I recently put in for a variation having sold my 6.5x55 and wanted to get back my favourite cal .30-06 and the straight forward one for one variation took over THREE months.

Hampshire granted me a "30 Cal rifle" variation a few years ago. This was their suggestion as I had told them I would make my mind up which cal I wanted when I found the right rifle. They were very constructive & positively logical on this & a few other issues. Always fair & responded properly to me in 20 years with me on their books.

Ian

Hampshire granted me a "30 Cal rifle" variation a few years ago. This was their suggestion as I had told them I would make my mind up which cal I wanted when I found the right rifle. They were very constructive & positively logical on this & a few other issues. Always fair & responded properly to me in 20 years with me on their books.

Ian

Not Hampshire but this is exactly how my 300 Weatherby Magnum got on my FAC.

K

I find it crazy that they will have you jump hoops for something simple like a ammo allowance, adding boar or AOLQ, but will allow a range of cartridges to be acquitted from a 30-30 to a 300RUM!!!

I find it crazy that they will have you jump hoops for something simple like a ammo allowance, adding boar or AOLQ,
but will allow a range of cartridges to be acquitted from a 30-30 to a 300RUM!!!

But a centrefire high velocity rifle is just that, wether it be a .223 or a 300 RUM, & dead is dead, sort of brings us back towards land being considered "Dangerous" for a particular round?:eek::doh:

But a centrefire high velocity rifle is just that, wether it be a .223 or a 300 RUM, & dead is dead, sort of brings us back towards land being considered "Dangerous" for a particular round?:eek::doh:

I agree that the whole land clearance in respect of "dangerous" is horseshizzle

but choice of cartridge it is not in the context of "good reason"
someone applying for a CF for fox control is hardly a viable candidate for a 416 Rigby.
Whilst I would welcome a Firearms Act and HO Guidance that allows me to purchase one to put large hole in mud banks behind paper I recognise that the current system does not allow it

Back