Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acquired a combination gun tday

Acquired a combination gun tday

Well I finally got around to picking up a .22lr/20 bore combination gun today off a fella on another forum for not a lot of dollar so will see how useful it actually is in time. Decent condition Savage 24 which has had a gunsmith fettle the trigger to make more user friendly and comes with some see through rings to enable a low mag scope for bunnies, etc and see moving targets for the 20 bore.

Ironically while I was away this weekend I read an article in an old 2007 Sporting Rifle mag reflecting why they are so little used in this country being such a versatile gun. Maybe I'll find out why for myself soon enough!!

Once I get some ammo I'll post up the results with the open sights (which should be fun!!) and then when I get a scope will see the difference,

Cheers

Stratts

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Nice little gun there mate. I'd love one. Was out with me rimmy yesterday, saw nowt but airborne quarry! A drilling would square that away

Have fun with that - should be a useful little gun. With open sights rabbits up to 40 yards should be getting scared - a bit further if your eyes are good, and with the shogun any that run are also in the pot. Now you will be looking for a centre fire one quite soon.

Out of curiosity I assume you need a .22lr slot on your fac but that's it? Assuming you have a sgc that is?

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Out of curiosity I assume you need a .22lr slot on your fac but that's it? Assuming you have a sgc that is?
    I had to apply for a variation and state what calibre rimfire and also what bore for the shotgun barrel - So .22lr/20 bore combination rifle. Although when it came through it said .22rf/20 bore on my cert, so I could have technically got a wmr but couldn't find one for the right money.

I've only used open sights at the fair, so it should be interesting seeing how I get on punching paper for starters!

Nice ,I've been thinking of a small combo for a while now..What size is your dovetail rail ? The reason I ask is that I a testing a very nice 3/8 dovetail quick release mount ideal for a combo set up ..

Quote Originally Posted by GOMX View Post
    Nice ,I've been thinking of a small combo for a while now..What size is your dovetail rail ? The reason I ask is that I a testing a very nice 3/8 dovetail quick release mount ideal for a combo set up ..
    Not sure mate I'll measure it and let you know. I know it's narrow and matey squeezed the mounts tight to get them to fit

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    I had to apply for a variation and state what calibre rimfire and also what bore for the shotgun barrel - So .22lr/20 bore combination rifle.
    I explained to my FEO that I wanted to buy a drilling but all that appeared on the modified FAC was "7x57R rifle". They didn't seem to care about the shotgun part of it, it's just an add-on. The conditions also presumably apply only to the rifled barrel too. The shotgun ones are a sort of optional extra. I assume I can just use it as a shotgun as I would any of the others. But it doesn't go on the SGC because it's legally a rifle. Something like that. I interpret than as them trusting me to use it appropriately and not cause them any bureaucratic headaches.

I really fancy one of those in .22lr/.410 combination, as those are the two most used calibres in my cabinet.
    Interested to know how you get on with it Stratts.