Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting deer in a park....ethics

Shooting deer in a park....ethics

This year I have noticed a lot of adverts to take stags/bucks from parks, on SD and elsewhere. It seems that it is becoming a more popular option for people hoping to secure a big trophy animal. There must be many benefits to shooting a trophy from a park instead of taking one from the wild.
    Some people say that shooting a fenced animal is not as sporting but as we all know, in some parts of the world it is very common to hunt within large fenced areas.
    I think that this type of hunt will become much more popular here in the UK in the next ten years or so and might be considered more sensible than hunting trophy animals from the wild...............what do you think?
    Last edited by Buckaroo8; 06-10-2014 at 21:31.

I shoot farm animals tied to gates and with broken legs unable to escape!

To be fair if you pass the following 2 tests:

1. Will the method be humane
    2. Is the shooting of the animal necessary?

Then no problem as far as I am concerned.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I shoot farm animals tied to gates and with broken legs unable to escape!
    I take it you aren't shooting them for sport! LOL
    I was thinking more of the trophy animals

Not for sport, no. If these animals are going to be culled anyway then I can't see a problem. As I say - so long as it is done humanely.

Don't kid yourself it's wild deer stalking, but it's just as necessary in terms of the management of these animals.

I can't see myself buying that type of shooting, BUT I have no problem with it, and I don't see it as any sort of ethical issue.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

What I was thinking was....maybe it is better to shoot trophies from parks.....they are infinitely replaceable, they are part of a carefully formulated management plan, the consequences of wounding a beast are potentially not as severe and there is less urgency for the hunter to take a shot, as he is guaranteed another go at some point if he screws up the stalk.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I can tell you having had to help in the selling of a Stag this year that on this occasion it was no easy task. The animal, although in a deer park was as near completely wild as you could get. He was cunning too. The stag would often take to middle of the herd. The stalker had to change high seats in order to get a shot and the Stag took nearly an hour to get into a shootable position. This obviously required a lot of patience by the stalker.
    Depending on the park it may not be as easy as you think.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I've been looking for some deer stalking I parks in the midlands. Can't find anything.

buck bones melton mowbray ,its at bouvray farm.dave stretton the man who wrote the DSC1 manual at donnington deer services ,islay walton near donnington race track.if buck bones doesnt answer he,s on pigeon watch as elk hunter .dave stretton looks after donnington deer park he,s got his own websiteas well DONNINGTON DEER SERVICES .andrew <buck bones >is on tinternet as http://www.the trophy barn .atb

It is deer shooting, no different from driven pheasant, just easier, the deer have to be culled, the fact that someone is willing to pay to shoot a deer in a high fenced field is there choice, we have had a buffalo in a field offered on this site, but it's not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    What I was thinking was....maybe it is better to shoot trophies from parks.....they are infinitely replaceable, they are part of a carefully formulated management plan, the consequences of wounding a beast are potentially not as severe and there is less urgency for the hunter to take a shot, as he is guaranteed another go at some point if he screws up the stalk.
    Its a trophy animal but not a trophy memory I would imagine. Needs to be done, but not sure I could do it just for the head.