Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 powder

.243 powder

Hi guys.

Currently loading 75g vmax in .243 using Ramshot hunter. I find this is deadly accurate but seems to burn hot. 5 or more rounds down at paper and the barrel is scorching hot to touch. Can any of you recommend another powder to use in place of the hunter.

Many thanks in advance
    Rob

I think most sporter 243 barrels will be hot after five rounds.
    I have been using reloader 17 up to 100 grain bullets with good effect.

Marcus

Well don't fire five rounds in quick succession down a sporter weight barrel especially if you have a moderator fitted as these tend to retain the hot gasses for some time. I usually limit my strings to three shots in a light weight barrel.
    Several of the guys at our rifle club have started copying Bandit Country's example and when testing loads or zeroing have small battery operated fans directed at the barrel and moderator to disperse the heat and associated heat mirage. It may look silly at first but it works.
    Hopefully in the field one round will be enough so not a problem unless of course you come across a herd of fox.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I often use a damp cloth on the moderator to draw out some of the heat.
    Also if really hot I take the overbarrel mod off completely.
    the last 6" of barrel are by far the hottest

I was wondering what the metallurgical effects would be of rapid (or assisted) cooling of hot barrels?

they are not normally reaching temperatures associated with tempering or denaturing but I had a thoughts that a can of air the kind used for blowing dust off/out of PC keyboards etc could be off use

When inverted they effectively blow dry ice which evaporates without residue

H&K did long tests with 20 round full auto, then stuck the rifle in a barrel of water and repeated 20 rounds full auto. Put thousands of rounds through that way. These rifles kept accuracy better at high shot counts than rifles that were fired single shot on the range with fairly cold barrels.
    Hot barrels seem to fire crack less, is logic too if you do the maths. (thermal shock behaviour)
    edi

I start reloading 243 just now. A gundealer, experienced reloader, advised me the Ramshot Hunter as perfect for the 243.

Years ago when I was zeroing rifles in the backyard, I used cold air to cool the barrel. 2 shots and then blew cold air ( compressor, from the chamber) through the barrel, then 2 shots again. I have Always been good with it. The proofhouse in Liège do the same thing. That's where I got the idea.

As said if you have a standard barrel 5 rounds will heat if up PDQ and why most only shoot 3 rd groups to test ammo i do 3 or 4 if i am use'g the fat barrel unless i am doing chrono work i will do 5 and gain the av fps. Iv seen skin come off when a pal grabbed a gpmg SF barrel he did squeal , also watched on a night fire a barrel fail and the tracer was deflecting /hitting the bank 50y rds out hot man hot our armour was pissed but it was our boss's demo And he was a real DILLIGAF .So yup expect it to get hot and a heat haze when looking though your scope try as others do or get a mirage band ,or just take a knee and enjoy the day let it cool down the round will still be there to shoot in a few mins time .

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    H&K did long tests with 20 round full auto, then stuck the rifle in a barrel of water and repeated 20 rounds full auto. Put thousands of rounds through that way. These rifles kept accuracy better at high shot counts than rifles that were fired single shot on the range with fairly cold barrels.
    Hot barrels seem to fire crack less, is logic too if you do the maths. (thermal shock behaviour)
    edi

time to break out the CO2 dust buster then!

nahh get some of that freezzzzzzzze gas that the plumbers use ! that will cool it down, then do the wet lip test you would pay someone £50 to fire another 10 rds to get unstuck more kit to carry in me back pack

hi try h414 good powder