Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 338 Federal

338 Federal

OK, so I've been idly musing.

I bought a small number of raffle tickets at this years H4H shoot, and one of the prizes was a re-barrel job by Jagre SA.

So I was wondering, as one might, what I would do if won said prize - which got me to thinking what, if any, other calibres I'd consider turning my rifle into. It is a Rem 700 in 308, and therefore doesn't need to be turned into anything. I like the idea of being able to confidently shoot boar at some point in my life, and therefore wouldn't want to go down in calibre to 243, and probably not down to .25, 6.5mm or 7mm (though they all are excellent rounds I am sure) - so I got to thinking what about up in calibre?

A very small amount of research (i.e. turning over a few pages of my Lee reloading manual and about 25 seconds of googlepedia) identified the 338 Federal. The more I read the more interested I became. So I searched on here a little and it looks as though although people have heard of them, there don't seem to be many, or even any active in the UK. But it looks like it should be about perfect for 99% of UK stalking (I am thinking manageable recoil, wide wound channels and minimal meat damage).

OK, after 300yds it looks as though it is starting to run out of breath quite sharply - but who is responsibly deer stalking at that range? And OK too, I can imagine that it's probably not the best thing to use to destroy an ad-hoc fox you might see. I'm no expert but I'd assume that most 338 bullets are probably a bit tough to really expand much on something as small as a fox?

But yes, if ever I re-barrel my humble 308, if I can do it for sensible money I'd have a good go at trying to get it turned into a 338 Fed. Can anyone think of any compelling reasons why this would be a bad idea?

The main two I have already considered are:

1) supply of ammunition - almost certainly restricting UK shooters to home loaded ammunition

2) unwillingness of Police FLDs to grant such a "terrifyingly huge" calibre for mere deer stalking

PS - I do realise that James' extremely generous prize probably wouldn't have actually stretched to such a re-barrel job, for one thing I can't see that Bergara actually make 338 barrel - it's just what got me thinking.
    PPS - I don't have any realistic expectation of actually doing this inside the next 24 months if ever - but you know how it is, now that I know about it I want one!

I'm going to get riflecraft to build me one , we've discussed it but events have over taken me and my spring 2014 project is turning into a winter 2014 project !

I intend to use a remmy 700 fitted with aics mags (10shot) 22'' barrel and a McMillan a2 or a3 style stock , low power scope and a large bolt knob , 10 piggy busting shots then a quick mag change for ten more ! I run the same set up with my 308 and 260 so already have plenty of mags and I'm familiar with the action.

just need to get my arse into gear and get it sorted!
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

If I remember right the ME of the 338 fed was similar or higher than the 30-06, using something like a 200grSST with half decent BC values of .455 I wouldn't hesitate a 300m shot. Would still be better bc than most 155gr 30 cal match bullets.
    edi

‎I guess an itch must be scratched and particularly when beneath the shoulders of a youthful Gentlemen but if you can resist it I would as I'm convinced you'll soon regret this urgency for a magnum-like calibre in your cabinet.

Far better to spend time reading about Elmer Keith's exploits at a cost of some $40 than ‎end up with something you neither use nor enjoy shooting for a whole lot more.

Wanna buy a nice 300 Weatherby Magnum for exactly 1K?

Cheers!

K‎

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.‎

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    ‎I guess an itch must be scratched and particularly when beneath the shoulders of a youthful Gentlemen but if you can resist it I would as I'm convinced you'll soon regret this urgency for a magnum-like calibre in your cabinet.

Far better to spend time reading about Elmer Keith's exploits at a cost of some $40 than ‎end up with something you neither use nor enjoy shooting for a whole lot more.

Wanna buy a nice 300 Weatherby Magnum for exactly 1K?

Cheers!

K‎

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.‎
    ?? 338fed, just a necked up 308win. Not really a magnum, more like a woodland cartridge. Very efficient too.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    ?? 338fed, just a necked up 308win. Not really a magnum, more like a woodland cartridge. Very efficient too.
    edi
    I don't care what brand of case he uses.......

I need to get new reading glasses.

Cheers

K

338 amax works well on fox at 2850fps. You won't get that speed as that's from a lap mag, but it does the job very, very well. There is a good range of 180-250 gr 'game' bullets to load up, it will be a bruiser for sure. I've just loaded a few 250 scenars over a case of trailboss to see how they go. Should be interesting
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

is going to be the next cal i get after ive done a bit with the 260 remington (when Dorset get to granting my inital Cert )

looking fwds to the " ????!!!! @'S " when they read .338" in the cal wanted column then "Oh no not Lapua Magnum" Officer that would be silly

but thats a way down the line yet

Quote Originally Posted by steerpike View Post
    ... I'm no expert but I'd assume that most 338 bullets are probably a bit tough to really expand much on something as small as a fox? ...
    .338" is a pretty big hole in a fox. I don't think it needs to expand.

Cheers,
    Jeff.

Should be fine for Deer / Boar and AOLQ.

If in doubt, book an outing for boar and that should give you lots of good reason. And if they worry, it is on a .308W case afterall.

ATB,

Scrummy