Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 wsm

.270 wsm

I'm currently looking to treat myself to a new rifle.
    I currently have an open slot for a .308 but I'm just not sure if my hearts quite in it.

I've been looking at the .270 WSM, it has impressive ballistics and looks like quite a nice (if not different) proposition.

I reload my own ammunition so availability of ammo wouldn't be a problem.

Are any SD members using this on deer and could maybe give an appraisal of it's 'real life' performance?
    Last edited by Cadex; 09-10-2014 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    I'm currently looking to treat myself to a new rifle.
    I currently have an open slot for a .308 but I'm just not sure if my hearts in it.

I've been looking at the .270 WSM, it has impressive ballistics and looks like quite a nice (if not different) proposition.

I reload my own ammunition so availability of ammo wouldn't be a problem.

Are any SD members using this on deer and could maybe give an appraisal of it's 'real life' performance?
    You need to talk to Ade, or on here He's known as 270WSM.

We have built several ,and I can assure you as a hunting cartridge it is extremely good. We have one client who recently used his to take a fantastic Spanish Ibex at extreme range . Recoil is entirely manageable and it delivers a s%8@t load of energy downrange. Stuart was using 130 grain Berger VLD hunting bullets @ 3250fps. I hope that is of help to you , yours respectfully Mike Norris, Brock and Norris Custom Rifles

I like the calibre but not in WSM form
    old school Winchester form!

A 130gr at 3000+fps is a solution to anything we have on our shores
    +1, zero, -6
    100, 200, 300
    point and shoot

People will quote the superior ballistics of a 6.5mm and the terrible recoil of 55-60gr of powder in a .270
    but you need to be in 6.5x284 territory before you can match anything like the impact energy....and they come with similar perceived recoil

and I happen to have several hundred 130gr SP bullets sitting here looking for a good home!

I use a 270WSM for all my stalking, I think it is ideally suited to take all forms of UK deer but also big enough to use on driven boar or plains game.

I reload for mine and have had no problem getting any components as yet and Norma do make the brass so you are not totally reliant on the yanks.

I used to use 130gr Nosler Accubonds with RL19 which were very effective but now use 150gr Bergers with RL17 however I have yet to use these at live targets. I used 150gr Nosler Partitions for boar which worked brilliantly.

Lads, thanks for the input.
    Reloading components seem easy enough to get hold of, however there is the grand total of six rifles chambered in WSM on gun trader and none of them really hit the mark .. . doh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    Lads, thanks for the input.
    Reloading components seem easy enough to get hold of, however there is the grand total of six rifles chambered in WSM on gun trader and none of them really hit the mark .. . doh!!!

There are actually 8 on there at the moment.

I think you forgot the 2 Blasers

Mine is a Winchester Mod 70 Super stealth (synthetic stock with rubber grip inlays), flat shooting and hard hitting, used it for cwd, munties, roe, fallow, boar and soon some reds . Currently using 130g pro hunters with 67g of Hogdons 4831sc producing @3200fps. Also good with 150gr Hornady interlock. Love the calibre. There was an article in Shooting Times a few years ago where they used a 270wsm for plains game with impressive results.

I have used a 300wsm before, but am looking at getting a 325wsm to add to the collection.

Ade

Can anyone comment on this old stab chapper.
    300.00 they must really want shot of it ???

Winchester .270 WSM Bolt Action New for sale. Buy for 300.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
    There are actually 8 on there at the moment.

I think you forgot the 2 Blasers
    Wonder why?? I hope you've got a good handle on brass because there isn't a lot here.~Muir