DIY Gun Finish

Greener Jim

The previous owner of my new rifle rubbed off all the finish. Probably fine for a range gun but since it'll see use in the field I want it protected well.
Mill get it cerakoted when I can afford it but what does everyone recommend for a quick and easy covering until then?

Cheers,
Jim

I used Duracoat and did the action and barrel myself. All done in an evening and reassembled next day. Has now lasted 3 years with not a scratch. Very easy to do with a spray kit. At the time it was about £50 and would have done several rifles or guns etc. Had to order it from Germany but was no hassle.

That's who I would get t do it but once I've included double postage at £50 it starts getting expensive quick

Thanks for the tip on duracoat. I couldn't find it in the UK so sbroad may have t be the way forward.

Really ly I want it browned but I'm not sure I have the skill :):)

Jager SA.

all day long i have had both a mod and stock done. some mates have had their full kit done,

superb value for money............and the nice thing is i have no worries about the quality of work COZ if i done it ? it would have been a mess.

bob.

Yeah I agree. His prices are good and he does great work by all accounts.
Postage just adds a lot and I can't afford it this close t Christmas! The rifle was pushing it ;)

To throw a spanner in the works. I did respray a rimfire barrell and action with High temp exhaust paint, that the motor factors sell. It worked well and its still on there 3 years later.... Might not be for everyone but hey it worked.

The thought has crossed my mind, purely as a stop gap.
How thick is that stuff? I just want a nice thin coat on it even if it is only for now :)

I degreased it keyed it a little then gave it a light coat I did put some petrol resistant lacquer over it to seal the paint. I masked the parts thet you dont want painting.

Less than £15.

Duracoat is very easy to spray and available. Works well out of a cheap lidl spray gun.
Results are only as good as the preparation and very important is the curing. Metal bits I cure for ~ a week at 65 deg C then it holds extremely well.
edi

Back