Thread: Question for the knife makers.

Question for the knife makers.

I have found an old circular saw blade about 2 foot across. I think it is at least 20 years old. Will it make good knives?

thanks, Tusker

Yes it will make a good knife blade. If you PM Ian Bailey on British Blades he has used old saw blades.

Is it rusty, or not too bad, if rusty it will be carbon steel, if merely challenged it could be a stainless steel, both require different hardening and tempering regimes. If carbon it will allow you to make a great blade from scratch to finish, and still have lots left over, Ian has made blades for me and is a great bladesmith. deerwarden

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    Is it rusty, or not too bad, if rusty it will be carbon steel, if merely challenged it could be a stainless steel, both require different hardening and tempering regimes. If carbon it will allow you to make a great blade from scratch to finish, and still have lots left over, Ian has made blades for me and is a great bladesmith. deerwarden
    Thanks mate, it is a bit rusty so probably carbon steel. I am now very excited and can't wait to get on.
    Tusker

It will be better for you if it is carbon steel, remember though 20 odd years ago plus, stainless was just that, it "stained less" than carbon steel. You can still get rust areas on some older stainless, as an apprentice 40odd years ago for Hawker Sidley, we were shown stainless steel that had been out in challenging conditions and had bad corrosion on the surface, modern stainless has much better properties now. However a good carbon steel blade that has had a forced patina, place the blade in lemon juice or white vinegar for an hour or more to force a greyish patina, or cut some potatoes up with it for a black/blue colour patina, then clean the blade thoroughly afterwards, this will develop a patina over some time that has some corrosion protection, or just wipe it over with mineral oil instead and allow one to develop naturally depending on what you are cutting with it. The above will produce a patina that will give SOME rust preventing properties. This will take time, and heavy use will remove it and need redoing, but it will never have the same qualities of modern stainless steels which have evolved hugely in the last few years, a carbon steel blade has character though, and sharpens bountifully though, hence the longevity of the Opinel knife, lose one, costs you a few quid to replace, good handle shape as well. We have a redundant saw mill where I stalk, will have to have a look there for a blade now. deerwarden
    Last edited by deerwarden; 09-10-2014 at 14:04.

Years ago I use to make knifes from old machine hacksaw blades from the local steel shed builders to cut fiberglass etc on site. They were brittle but held a good edge, I guess they had a lot of carbon in them.
    Any one else used these

Yep as an apprentice we did the same, used to temper them down so they weren't so brittle, but learnt not to put too much heat on the cutting edge or they went soft, made knives from old files as well, farrier rasps as my first wife was horse mad, were great for making bowies from. deerwarden.