Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Barnes TTSX 130 gn Win 270 N160 load data?

  1. #1

    Barnes TTSX 130 gn Win 270 N160 load data?

    After read Jagare's recent thread on lead fragmentation in deer carcasses I have decided to give lead free a go.

    I am fairly new to reloading so go easy!

    What I am looking for is a starting and max load for a win 270 barnes 130 gn TTSX bullet, N160 powder, CCI 200 primer in winchester or federal brass.
    This will be used in a Sako 85 with 20" barrel and mod.

    Viht give data for 140 and 150 gn TSX using N165, 550 & 560.
    Barnes give data for H4350 and reloader 19.
    Nothing this specific on here and can't find anything worthy of a second read on the rest of the www.

    I have already got or have easy access to these components and don't really want to mess about looking for others.
    Plus, I've got a long weekend ahead of me stalking twice a day with not much else to do in between, perfect opportunity to do important stuff.

    I have read CSL's sticky at the top of this page, any offered load data will be used entirely at my own risk.

    Thank in advance.
    Cheers.

  2. #2
    Have a look on Barnes website they have load info on there

  3. #3
    I use 55.4gr of N160 under 130gr Interlocks
    none of that is relevant in your rifle using copper though

    Book max is up around 60gr and from what I understand you want to be driving solid copper a bit faster than a cup and core

  4. #4
    Too stout a bullet for uk game, you will get runners unless you break bone

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Too stout a bullet for uk game, you will get runners unless you break bone
    UTTER BOHORLICS !

    i have shot 100's of barnes bullets in 6.5 and .270 , killed 100's of UK deer (lowland red through to muntjac) with them, in my opinion there is no better bullet and the only reason im not using them at the moment is getting them is a pain in the ar$e .

    the only way to get to know a bullet is to use it over a considerable amount of time and on as many different species as possible and unless you have used it extensively how could you possibly comment.

    me personally i speak from experience , PKL please inform us how you came about your conclusion ?

    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Too stout a bullet for uk game, you will get runners unless you break bone
    Care to expand on this (forgive the pun) everything I read says that these bullets work well?

    Archie12 - Barnes only give data for RL19 and H4350.

    Bewsher500 - 130 gn interlocks are what I am using atm with the above components.

    Thanks guys.

  7. #7
    in light bullet weights, on light/lean game such as UK deer species, the barnes will, at high velocity, meet enough resistance to expand. However, increase bullet weight or reduce velocity, or reduce resistance in another way like shooting fox or munty's,,and you will probably find the terminal performance isn't what you previously experienced with non-bonded type bullets.

    depends what you are shooting really, if you're taking munty's and CWD with the barnes at 200yds or more, it's sure as heck not a good bullet in 130g or more (IMVHO).

    if you're taking sika or red deer at sub 200yds where there is enough speed and resistance, it's probably going to be a decent performer.

    personally, if I was targeting 'light' deer species, I would consider the Nosler E-Tip, driven at modest velocities.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    in light bullet weights, on light/lean game such as UK deer species, the barnes will, at high velocity, meet enough resistance to expand. However, increase bullet weight or reduce velocity, or reduce resistance in another way like shooting fox or munty's,,and you will probably find the terminal performance isn't what you previously experienced with non-bonded type bullets.

    depends what you are shooting really, if you're taking munty's and CWD with the barnes at 200yds or more, it's sure as heck not a good bullet in 130g or more (IMVHO).

    if you're taking sika or red deer at sub 200yds where there is enough speed and resistance, it's probably going to be a decent performer.

    personally, if I was targeting 'light' deer species, I would consider the Nosler E-Tip, driven at modest velocities.
    Interesting, The Nosler site gives load data for N160 as well. Maybe a starting point for the TTSX?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    UTTER BOHORLICS !

    i have shot 100's of barnes bullets in 6.5 and .270 , killed 100's of UK deer (lowland red through to muntjac) with them, in my opinion there is no better bullet and the only reason im not using them at the moment is getting them is a pain in the ar$e .

    the only way to get to know a bullet is to use it over a considerable amount of time and on as many different species as possible and unless you have used it extensively how could you possibly comment.

    me personally i speak from experience , PKL please inform us how you came about your conclusion ?
    calm down big man,,,! jeez.

    I used them in .243 then moved to partitions and hornday bthp's. Also tried them in 30-06 and found similar issues.

    .243 was fast enough if used on reds, but not really smaller game.

    I'm just saying, if you're looking to drop deer really quickly, there are better options out there, and the e-tip expands a bit faster so is more suited to thinner skinned game.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    calm down big man,,,! jeez.

    I used them in .243 then moved to partitions and hornday bthp's. Also tried them in 30-06 and found similar issues.

    .243 was fast enough if used on reds, but not really smaller game.

    I'm just saying, if you're looking to drop deer really quickly, there are better options out there, and the e-tip expands a bit faster so is more suited to thinner skinned game.
    apologies that came out a tad abrupt !

    the myth that barnes bullets neet to driven hard is in my opinion un true , all the loads i have for the ttsx and tsx are all near enough min loads and all work very well including on the big stuff .

    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Similar Threads

  1. barnes tsx 130 grain load data for .308
    By Blue400 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 22-08-2014, 20:17
  2. .270 Winchester ~ 130 gn bullet ~ Vit N150
    By Wingers243 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-05-2014, 06:24
  3. Balser R8 Barnes 120g TTSX 6.5x55 sw load info
    By viney in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2013, 08:06
  4. 308 130 grain barnes ttsx
    By Blue400 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19-02-2013, 05:10
  5. .270 130 Gn Hornady Interlock SST??
    By TASR12 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-06-2010, 16:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •