Best all round caliber rifle

500 nitro just like martiny any place any game, but real life is a .308 you are never alone with .308 the ammo is in any place in any country

My answer will be wholly dependent on confirming an unlimited or otherwise supply of HODGDON VARGET and/or LIL-GUN Powder!

I’m also mindful that the outcome of this thread, or at least that posed above, will require the disappointed to submit without resistance to a Jelen "Urban Reloaders Posttraumatic Stress Management” course. But then I’m sure you’re worth it.

K
:D

My answer will be wholly dependent on confirming an unlimited or otherwise supply of HODGDON VARGET and/or LIL-GUN Powder!

I’m also mindful that the outcome of this thread, or at least that posed above, will require the disappointed to submit without resistance to a Jelen "Urban Reloaders Posttraumatic Stress Management” course. But then I’m sure you’re worth it.

K
:D

:rofl: … Like it!

Hi Dan,

The best all-round calibre is quite simply the one that:

a) You feel most comfortable with
b) You are most confident with
c) That satisfies the type of shooting that you are likely to do.

Bear in mind the type of bullet you use will have a great bearing on how successful the effect is on your chosen quarry. On almost all our courses, I get asked what calibre I recommend, and the fact is it really is your own personal choice.

However, I can tell you that the calibre I most favour for everything from Muntjac to Cattle is .30-06. It has plenty of energy, a huge range of bullet weights, a relatively soft recoil (almost a shove rather than a kick), its what I use all the time. However, I would add that as long as your capable of putting the bullet precisely in the right place, then any deer-legal calibre will do the job.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services
01264 811155

3006, 110 grain to 220 grain bullets in one rifle. My go to rifle was a Tikka T3 in 3006 for many years, but it finally disintegrated and gave up.

Perhaps a surprise choice but I think I'm going to go with .223 Remington.

It shoots accurately out to 600 yards no problem. Hardly any recoil. Pretty fast. Hits pretty hard.

Really excellent variety of bullet weights. No shortage of brass, primers or bullets. Uses about half the powder of my other calibers. Relatively cheap to shoot as a Centrefire.

I find it particularly loud. Think that's my only gripe.

Last edited:
I am not sure there is a single gun answer?

I went for a 243 in the knowladge that id have to be good at shot placement and chose the right bullet but I still asked for a 22/10 for rabbit and small vermin.

The 308 seemed to me is a bit of a one trick pony and its no where near as nice to shoot as the 243.

Maybe with more experiance ill change my mind but my mentor (30 years+ experiance) owns both and reckons the 308 hardly ever sees the light of day

That said I agree 308 amo is easy to get world wide

ATB

Chasey

Back