Thread: open /closed /

open /closed /

on my licence it says
    the firearms and ammunition shall be used for the shooting of vermin and ground game/fox/deer and for zeroing on ranges or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has authority to shoot .

and

the certificate holder may possess,purchase or acquire expanding ammunition, or the missiles of such ammunition, in the calibres authorised by this certificate and use only in connection with the lawful shooting of deer, the shooting of vermin, or in connection with the management of any estate ,other wildlife

does this mean I can only shoot on the land I stated in my firearms application or what I am writing to have my mentoring condition removed and was wondering if this needed changing to ?

Quote Originally Posted by Olly.243 View Post
    does this mean I can only shoot on the land I stated in my firearms application or what I am writing to have my mentoring condition removed and was wondering if this needed changing to ?
    You have a closed (or some people call it) semi-closed certificate. The land needs to be cleared and you need permission to shoot.

I have seen a FAC that stated shooting over a specific piece of land - that is absolutely closed!

See:

13.11 It should not normally be extended to other areas of land on which the applicant intends to
    shoot unless there is to be a condition restricting a new shooter to specified land only. An
    inspection, where it is required, may provide a good opportunity to confirm that the applicant
    understands the characteristics of the land and the best places to shoot safely on it.

13.13 A person whose certificate is to be conditioned to allow shooting only on land approved
    by the chief officer of police, should be able to establish whether an area of land has
    been approved for that type and calibre of firearm by contacting their local police firearms
    licensing department. It is expected that in only a small number of cases will it be
    necessary to inspect the land.

Appendix 3
    1. Quarry Shooting (for vermin, fox or deer)
    • The *calibre RIFLE/COMBINATION/SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOUND MODERATOR and
    ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game/ deer (delete as
    appropriate) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing on ranges, on land deemed suitable by
    the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and
    over which the holder has
    lawful authority to shoot.
    (The words underlined may be omitted once the certificate holder has demonstrated competence.
    There is no set time for this and each case should be considered on its individual merits).

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

so would I need permission to shoot on that land from the land owner or the land owner and the police if it has already been passed as safe

You always need permission from the landowner!*

If the landowner (or another 3rd party) confirms the land is cleared then there is no specific need to contact the police. If there is any doubt then check with them. Some people use it as a technique to try and get their certificate opened sooner. If you have the information from a reliable source then crack on.

*edit, or the holder of the sporting rights. It might be the same person, but it may not.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I have had my .243 for about 18 months and have had a mentor he has now wrote a letter to say that he considers me safe and to no longer need a mentor I am going to send this off to my area force to try and have this mentoring condition removed so I can go out on my own should I also ask to have land condition removed or will the police do this when they are ready . as I can see from a few posts on here people have just had it opened after a variation or renewal and not had to request it .

You can ask. The worst they can say is no.