Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does money get us?

What does money get us?

A boat is docked in a tiny village and this conversation occurs….

Businessman: Nice catch! how long did it take to catch all this nice tuna?

Fisherman: Not very long.

Businessman: But then, why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more?

Fisherman: This catch is sufficient to meet my needs and those of my family.

Businessman: But what do you do with the rest of your time?

Fisherman: I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a nap with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs…I have a full life.”

Businessman: I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat. With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middleman, you can negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Los Angeles or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge enterprise.

Fisherman: How long would that take?

Businessman: Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years.

Fisherman: And after that?

Businessman: Afterwards? That’s when it gets really interesting. When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!

Fisherman: Millions? Really? And after that?

Businessman: After that you’ll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a nap, and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends!

aint that something to think about... very nice

This is dead on. I only wonder why it take so many of us 20 years to work it out? Me included. The whole system is set to direct us down the route of earning money, just to give it away in taxes.
    Only problem is there are many who do earn alot of money, spend alot of money during their working life and therefore push prices up for those who don't earn lots.
    But I agree with the sentiment. Earn some money, go stalking.

Very nice NH and I do always feel sorry for the chaps who come out with me stalking and say they only got out 6 times etc this year because of work. We should work to live not live to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    A boat is docked in a tiny village and this conversation occurs….

Businessman: Nice catch! how long did it take to catch all this nice tuna?

Fisherman: Not very long.

Businessman: But then, why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more?

Fisherman: This catch is sufficient to meet my needs and those of my family.

Businessman: But what do you do with the rest of your time?

Fisherman: I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a nap with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs…I have a full life.”

Businessman: I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat. With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middleman, you can negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Los Angeles or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge enterprise.

Fisherman: How long would that take?

Businessman: Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years.

Fisherman: And after that?

Businessman: Afterwards? That’s when it gets really interesting. When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!

Fisherman: Millions? Really? And after that?

Businessman: After that you’ll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a nap, and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends!

My father told me a similar tale many years ago when I was a kid but the example he gave was of Jacko the abo fishing down at the river.

Just goes to show how clever the white man was?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Nice sentiment but if we all had that attitude then we'd still be living in caves

Quote Originally Posted by Seanpaul View Post
    Nice sentiment but if we all had that attitude then we'd still be living in caves
    Not really, maybe we'd all just be a bit happier and the world a nicer place to live.

It's like everything in life, it's about getting the balance right.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

8X57 You are correct but sometimes people are obsessed with money and cant see that life is only memories we make. That's my excuse for going stalking three times a week

6 pointer. You've got it right by the sound of it. As I said this would be great but how does one manage to do that without earning money? Too many people paying to high a price for stalking and ground with the view to make money. It's a merrygo round but far too complicated for the likes of me to work out. Happy hunting.