Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wild boar on country file now.

wild boar on country file now.

Gonna be some night viz filming shown of Forest of Dean in next few minutes on Countryfile.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Gonna be some night viz filming shown of Forest of Dean in next few minutes on Countryfile.
    Bloody 'ell Finnbear! Posting to the site AND watching telly!! That's called "multitasking" and is woman's domain!!

You really should get in touch with your female side you know!
    Last edited by finnbear270; 28-02-2010 at 20:42.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

was quite good to watch but all i was thinking was bacon buttys

I saw it - They were in Reeve's high seats (i know as l have a few!) The Boar 'expert' seemed a little off the mark. When he was explaining that they need a close season, he explained that they, like other wild animals need a time to mate and raise young - then he went on to say they need a close season like deer (dont think he'd heard of Buck season....)! He also said that there were wild populations in most (can't remember if he said all) southern counties in England!

I think we should run a post with people from the site collating sightings in the southern counties?

Seems like there are lots of piggies in the Forest of Dean though!

Bet the FC boys kick themselves when ordered to cull some...

Who was the expert?
    We don`t get countryfile here

Tommo said

I saw it - They were in Reeve's high seats (i know as l have a few!) The Boar 'expert' seemed a little off the mark. When he was explaining that they need a close season, he explained that they, like other wild animals need a time to mate and raise young - then he went on to say they need a close season like deer (dont think he'd heard of Buck season....)! He also said that there were wild populations in most (can't remember if he said all) southern counties in England!

I think we should run a post with people from the site collating sightings in the southern counties?

Seems like there are lots of piggies in the Forest of Dean though!

Bet the FC boys kick themselves when ordered to cull some...

Tommo
    I'll think you will find the "boar expert" might just know what he is talking about, he has probably forgotten more about boar than the rest of know. If you didnt reconize his name you probably dont know much about UK boar??

As for the close season he is spot on, most of our sow's have dropped or are about to drop their young and should have a close season for females.

If the FC dont ever shoot boar with young why should they be opposed to a close season.??

When they are at it defra should have set a leagal min calibre instead of bottleing it and leaving it all up to the the "landownwers (FC) discretion"

WD

BBC iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t0bv starts about 31 minutes into the programme. I take it the expert loves his wild boar. Jim

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    The expert is Dr Martin Goulding, though I didn't catch the name of the ranger. I thought it was a pretty good piece.

willie_gunn

John DM said
    Who was the expert?
    We don`t get countryfile here

Hi John
    It was a chap I think you might have heared of Dr Martin Goulding

Wayne