wild boar on country file now.

I saw it - They were in Reeve's high seats (i know as l have a few!) The Boar 'expert' seemed a little off the mark. When he was explaining that they need a close season, he explained that they, like other wild animals need a time to mate and raise young - then he went on to say they need a close season like deer (dont think he'd heard of Buck season....)! He also said that there were wild populations in most (can't remember if he said all) southern counties in England!

I think we should run a post with people from the site collating sightings in the southern counties?

Seems like there are lots of piggies in the Forest of Dean though!

Bet the FC boys kick themselves when ordered to cull some...

Tommo said

I saw it - They were in Reeve's high seats (i know as l have a few!) The Boar 'expert' seemed a little off the mark. When he was explaining that they need a close season, he explained that they, like other wild animals need a time to mate and raise young - then he went on to say they need a close season like deer (dont think he'd heard of Buck season....)! He also said that there were wild populations in most (can't remember if he said all) southern counties in England!

I think we should run a post with people from the site collating sightings in the southern counties?

Seems like there are lots of piggies in the Forest of Dean though!

Bet the FC boys kick themselves when ordered to cull some...

Tommo
I'll think you will find the "boar expert" might just know what he is talking about, he has probably forgotten more about boar than the rest of know. If you didnt reconize his name you probably dont know much about UK boar??

As for the close season he is spot on, most of our sow's have dropped or are about to drop their young and should have a close season for females.

If the FC dont ever shoot boar with young why should they be opposed to a close season.??

When they are at it defra should have set a leagal min calibre instead of bottleing it and leaving it all up to the the "landownwers (FC) discretion"

WD

Tommo
I'll think you will find the "boar expert" might just know what he is talking about, he has probably forgotten more about boar than the rest of know. If you didnt reconize his name you probably dont know much about UK boar??

As for the close season he is spot on, most of our sow's have dropped or are about to drop their young and should have a close season for females.

If the FC dont ever shoot boar with young why should they be opposed to a close season.??

When they are at it defra should have set a leagal min calibre instead of bottleing it and leaving it all up to the the "landownwers (FC) discretion"

WD[/QUOTE]

Well said Wayne!

Wayne/Thomas,

I think Dr Goulding didn't go into enough detail (more the fault of the programme not his i suspect) the way it came over was that deer have a complete close season, and that boar should suit. I'm not stating that they shouldn't nor anything else - what l meant by him being off the mark was that it will mislead the average joe watching the programme.

I dont protest to know vast amounts of knowledge of deer, far less about boar, but if he had explained like you have,

I totally agree.

No worries mate,

I'm one of those that says it as i see it (its the northener in me...) sometimes l'm right, sometimes l'm wrong!

Is it bad time to ask about some culling?!

Just fancy a night in a seat if only just to see them - not seen a wild one yet!

Regards,

Tom

Hmmmm, just saw your reply Wayne, I have heard of Martin, and had one or two dealings with him ref boar;)

My advice to anyone is listen to what that man says, he does know what he`s on about when it comes to Boar. And he`s a nice bloke too and isn`t cocky about his knowledge; we all could learn from him.
Wish I knew what that man did.;)

Back