Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best cleaning rod etcetera on the market?ADVICE NEEDED HELP!

Best cleaning rod etcetera on the market?ADVICE NEEDED HELP!

Hi everyone I have just ordered a Sako 85 Laminate Stainless in 6.5 X 55 calibre due with me in January, problem is I have just purchased a house with my girl friend so need to buy all these bits before we move (so she doesn't see so much cash leaving my account!) I will be ordering a shooting shed custom bore guide, so need a decent rod, brush and jag. Also any views on felt screw on cleaning patch's? I already use the brilliant KG products but would like you guys to help me out with rods, brushes and jags this rifle is my first centre fire and want it to last me hence the requirement for quality gear Thanks in advance Chris

I have a Tipton carbon fibre rod for one of my rifles and a Parker hale plastic coated for the other. I really much prefer the Tipton. I use proshot spear type Jags and proshot brushes.

Mike thank you for the reply, like the idea of the carbon rod but have heard they shatter if dropped?! I am a clumsy sod and openly admit it

Quote Originally Posted by chrishorner View Post
    Mike thank you for the reply, like the idea of the carbon rod but have heard they shatter if dropped?! I am a clumsy sod and openly admit it
    Can't remember dropping it, but have carted it about a bit to the range etc and never had a problem (i do keep it in a cardboard tube to transport it tho)

thank you very much for that info might have to order one of those then!

I use either Tipton or Dewey rods now and Dewey brushes and jags with Pro-shot patches... the Pro-shots being the make of patches most commonly available. I've still got a couple of old original Parker Hale rods and they're much better quality than the modern plastic coated cheapies I made the mistake of buying.

I buy the brushes and jags in bulk direct from Dewey's own website in the US... there's a break-even point taking into consideration the shipping/royal mail/import fees but anything above that and you're on the up.
    They're easy to deal with and quick to post.

cheers

Fizz

Pro shot take some beating they are stainless so easy to clean and keep clean anmd also no plastic on them toi drag **** in to your bore
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Tipton carbon fibre rods and pro shot jag / brushes.
    Dewey OK but not so great in 17 as too flexible. Pro shot better than Dewey but not my choice unless no Tipton.

Give spud a bell...
    He'll sort you out....
    Always answers the phone even late into the evening!
    I don't buy from anyone else!

10 pm every nght 7 days a wek
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class