Thread: The Mechanical work on my Hilux completed!

The Mechanical work on my Hilux completed!

Early this past spring I replaced the timing chain and all related gears on my 1986 Toyota 4x4 pickup, or Hilux, as you guys call them. At the time I did the oil pump and gears, the water pump, hoses, and the radiator. I am not a mechanic so I was really pleased and proud that I got through it but knew that still more work needed doing. As of this week, it's got a new clutch, pressure plate, clutch release bearing, pilot bushing, a resurfaced fly wheel, rear main crankshaft seal, transfer case front and rear output shaft seals, a new alternator and a new fuel pump. I timed the ignition (gasoline engine) and adjusted the valves. Runs like a Swiss watch and after all the work I put into it, I'd expect it to! I left no job undone. Nothing over-looked.

I just went out to haul a load of rubbish to the land fill.
    The battery is dead.
    Sheesh!~Muir

While you're charging the battery you might want to check there's some gas in it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    While you're charging the battery you might want to check there's some gas in it as well?
    Oooo! That's harsh!
    (but now that you mention it.....)~Muir

You may want to check out the possibility of landfill tax???, but your description of the tear down & re- build sounds just great, I can smell that new oil & maybe even a hint of Red stag? (Hermetite).
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I take it the beet harvest rush is over dear cuz

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Runs like a Swiss watch and after all the work I put into it, I'd expect it to! I left no job undone. Nothing over-looked.
    Well done, there's a great sense of satisfaction having done all the work yourself isn't there! Not just because you know the job has been done right but also because you are now intimately acquainted with its inner workings.... if anything ever goes wrong again it will be irritating, but not in any way scary!

There are people who barely know how to check their oil level... how do they untrust their lives to a machine they know so little about??!

Muir,

Have you polished the vanity mirror on the windscreen shade

Stan
    Last edited by smullery; 11-10-2014 at 17:24. Reason: forgot emoticon

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Muir,

Have you polished the vanity mirror on the windscreen shade

Stan
    No. But I did wipe the dirt off the rust patches and cover them with camo colored duct tape. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    No. But I did wipe the dirt off the rust patches and cover them with camo colored duct tape. ~Muir
    Hey big spender!!!

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Hey big spender!!!

David.
    Nothing but the best, Dave.~Muir