Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalking with Dogs

Stalking with Dogs

How many of you out there take your dog with you when out stalking as opposed to just leaving it in the car just in case?
    I took the "wifes" Miniature Shnauzer out with me for the first time today. He's 18 mths old, had plenty of deer feet to chew on, followed a few tracks I've laid for him and seen maybe 3 Roe carcasses that I've brought back and butchered in front of him so he can relate to their smell.
    What I wasn't expecting was for him to start "Pointing", pulling on his lead and letting out little squeeks when we were downwind of the deer. The 2 that I saw were about 100yds off when I saw them, he definately couldn't see them. Unfortunately I couldn't get a clear shot at either for his troubles.
    It's quite good to know that he is switched on to them but in truth he was a pain in the backside because he's so keen there's no way he'd stay to heel for very long even with his lead on and he also sounds like a herd of elephants trampling through the leaf litter
    Unfortunately unless i'm going to sit out and ambush them he'll be spending his stalking career sat in the car which is a shame really ??:

Mick

Hi Mick
    My Gsp "Max" stalks with me 90% of time he is an asset while on foot or up a seat he makes me aware of deer way before I've got any idea they are there, which is a huge advantage.

Atb Wayne

I can vouch for Wayne's Max being an Asset.
    I stalk with a guy in dumfries who brings his 2 labs along and they are a monumental pain in the arse. The first time I stalked with Wayne and Max i was expecting more of the same but I was wrong. apart from anything it's great just to watch him when he marks deer.
    I have never stalked with my Max but he comes with me about 3 times a week with the rifle for Rabbits and foxes and it's nice just to have him along for company.
    A good dog is deffinately an asset an unsteady one is an absolute nuisance.

Ezzy.

I dont stalk with my dogs for three reasons:

1. With the fallow I can park the Landy up by the barn safely and the furthest I need to walk is 600m to fetch the dogs if necessary.

2. On my patch in Scotland I have found strange piles of minced meat in close proximity to badger sets in the past. I have no idea what it might mean but I have my suspicions. Either dog would have hoovered this meat up before I could stop them. Not worth the risk.

3. Short haired vizslas dont like sitting still for too long under cold high seats.

Mark

MarkH said
    I dont stalk with my dogs for three reasons:

1. With the fallow I can park the Landy up by the barn safely and the furthest I need to walk is 600m to fetch the dogs if necessary.

2. On my patch in Scotland I have found strange piles of minced meat in close proximity to badger sets in the past. I have no idea what it might mean but I have my suspicions. Either dog would have hoovered this meat up before I could stop them. Not worth the risk.

3. Short haired vizslas dont like sitting still for too long under cold high seats.

Mark
    Hi Mark
    You dont know what your missing, Max has pre warned me to quite a few deer which I probably would have never shot.

It add's another element to the whole experience, I even find myself looking at the dog's reaction more than scanning myself when stalking directly into the wind.

There is a frustrating side to it though, like the weekend when he's winding Muntjac in deep cover that were not going anywhere unless you stood on them. You know the little buggers are there but cant do nowt about it

I do leave him behind if it's a long sit in a cold highseat but if the weather is favourable he is still an asset under a seat. In a wood he will hear, wind and see things alot sooner than some of us deaf old buggers.

Wayne
    Last edited by WAYNE DAVIES; 01-03-2010 at 15:20.

Hi Wayne

Sharing the wood with a gazillion pheasants in the late autumn does my vizsla's head in as she points them up while I am trying to move. She usually wins and I have to wait

Mark

Hi Mark

I can tell with Max straight away if he' s winding rabbit, pheasant or deer he acts differently on all.

As I only use him on deer I haven't encouraged him to go onto full point so he indicate's but I can still move on and he will keep 3/4 in front how I can watch him.

Saturday he kept staring across the wood at 90 degrees to our left, wrong direction for any wind, he done it again and again before we eventually spotted a buck which we chose not to shoot, he had obviousley picked up some movement and wasnt about to let me forget it

Although I still have trouble with him going rigid on rabbits occasionally

Cheers Wayne

Thumbs up

Hi ,
    I have just returned from a succesful trip to Herefordshire

The chaps i went with were great company and the stalking second to none, after seeing the guides dog work last year i was impressed but this year was something else i think both dog and owner are working as one and it was a privilige to watch.

After showing my wife the video footage of how the dog works i am a step closer to getting one(GSP) I have to work on her a bit as we have 3 spaniels and are about to pick up a staffy pup. Couple more cream eggs and it will be in the bag

Moral of the story is time,effort and patience and i think most people would find a dog good company and should increase their bag.

Thanks Wayne.
    See you soon mate

Wayne your Max sounds a lot like my dads Lab. She walks slightly in front and you can just watch her going stiff and raising her nose. She's steady and will sit under the seat all day. Like Cervus and Ezzy say it's amazing to see when a dog and it's handler are working as one.
    Makes me quite jealous
    I suppose if I put a bit more work into training the dog will learn eventually.

Cheers
    Mick

I recently went stalking with a mate who breeds his own GSPs. He brought along a young bitch of approx 8months age whose natural talent is astounding.

Expecting her just to arse around and bound through the grass, i was surprised to watch her actively hunt, scent and point deer some 300yds away. Once i shot a deer, he allowed her to follow it up from approx 250yds away and downhill. She immediately got on task, went straight to the deer despite being unable to see it, sat down and started to bark away until we arrived. All this and i know he hasn't tried to train her much as he believes in allowing young GSPs to 'have their head' till a year or so.

I must admit that i'll be tempted to take a pup from her if he ever breeds from her.