Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallabies?

Wallabies?

Soooo, we have wallabies in certain parts of the UK. Wild, invasive species just like muntjac or wildboar.
    Apparently there are 100's of them in small colonies.
    I can't find them listed in HO guidelines or anywhere.

Theoretically can we hunt them with the appropriate condition on out FAC?

Wonder what they taste like.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Wonder what they taste like.
    Bloody lovely, we have loads of them over here on the Isle of Man, i mean 00's and they are breeding like rabbits too!

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    Bloody lovely, we have loads of them over here on the Isle of Man, i mean 00's and they are breeding like rabbits too!
    ....and you can shoot them?

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    ....and you can shoot them?
    They are none -indiduness like wild bore, and so therefore vermin, if you FAC is licensed for vermin with appropriate rifles , then get shut and fil the freezer!

There was one captured on the outskirts of York the other day, brought the city's ring road to a halt and caused complete chaos for hours while a vet was brought in to tranquilise it! Now in the Askham Bryan Agricultural College's animal facility just down the road from me while its owner or a new home is found. The 'experts' say it must have come from somebody's collection as they don't believe there are any feral wallabies in the county.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    There was one captured on the outskirts of York the other day, brought the city's ring road to a halt and caused complete chaos for hours while a vet was brought in to tranquilise it! Now in the Askham Bryan Agricultural College's animal facility just down the road from me while its owner or a new home is found. The 'experts' say it must have come from somebody's collection as they don't believe there are any feral wallabies in the county.
    Nonsense! there are several wild colonies in the UK and its nothing new, there were some at least forty years ago
    and possibly before that.

when my dad was a young underkeeper on the Holmbush estate in west sussex around 1938 he was sent to the rearing field to shoot a wallaby that was sitting on the rearing houses thumping its tail sending birds running in all directions, you can see plenty of them around the Billingshurst area of west sussex

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Nonsense! there are several wild colonies in the UK and its nothing new, there were some at least forty years ago
    and possibly before that.
    I saw wallabies (well, a wallaby) when out stalking early in the morning in Berkshire 12-15 years ago. They have been in the wild for many years.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Laurie typed county not country. I heard the Derbyshire colony had died out, I don't know if this is true or not?